Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fan controller

I have a medium bge and a primo oval xl. I’m wondering what’s the best fan controller to buy for these guys? For the primo it seems that I should buy the bbq guru so I’m kinda leaning towards that one.

anybody have any suggestions? 

Comments

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    If you're set on a fan, that should be fine, but I would recommend checking out the Smobot. I'm a former Flameboss user who is very glad he switched to Smobot.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Huge fan of flameboss here. 
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    OhioEgger said:
    If you're set on a fan, that should be fine, but I would recommend checking out the Smobot. I'm a former Flameboss user who is very glad he switched to Smobot.
    What do u like more about the smobot
  • OhioEgger
    Mr1egg said:
    OhioEgger said:
    I like the fact that it lets a kamado work as it was intended, with airflow controlled by opening/closing the bottom and top vents, rather than blowing air up through it.

But even more than that, I found that its algorithm is far more accurate than the Flameboss (at least the 200 version I had) and is so much better at maintaining the set temperature without overshooting it. The first cook was a little rough, but then it learned the parameters of my BGE and since then it has been a real gem.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    6baluts said:
    Here is my experience with a couple of controllers that I own.  I did not buy all of these myself.  In fact, they have all been gifts from my kids who actually are very close but obviously never talk to each other and one from my wife.
    These are in no particular order other than the order I have received the controllers in.
    - BBQ Guru DX2 (wife) great controller well made, have had great success on using it on a MBGE, LBGE, PRIMO XL and Kikuya Hibatchi pot. This is a non wifi model.  Keeps a pretty tight cook set point wise but not the best of the controllers I own.
    -  Flameboss 200 (Daughter 1) another great controller.  Mr. Collins and his support team are top notch.  I have used this controller on MBGE, LBGE, and PRIMO XL.  Have never had an issue with this controller on any of my 4 BGE's.  However, this controller hates my PRIMO XL.  Have had a couple of runaway fires on the Primo.  Mr. Collins and his team pushed me some new probes well after warranty.  Have to admit I have quit using this on my PRIMO not worth the hassle.  I believe it is just my cooker that my unit does not like.  Flameboss seems to have the server issue corrected from years ago, and they do push a lot of updates to you.
    - Fireboard FBX11 (daughter 2) this is the first iteration of a fireboard. It is a great controller keeps decent control of temps.  Lots of graphing options if you are into that stuff and cook notes.  Has only gotten better since they got in bed with Yoder.  The new Fireboard 2 variant comes in a couple different flavors, and it is worth a look at in your search.  If you buy from them, I recommend buying a pit viper fan from BBQ Guru and use that as your fan vice the fireboard option.  If you would buy the fireboard fan recommend throttling it down to 20-30% output.
    - SMOBOT (Son) I am a huge fan and believer.  I think it helps that both Curtis and Eric are eggers.  As mentioned above that algorithm is SPOT ON... I have over 90 cooks on my SMOBOT and all, but one is pretty much a flat line cook too include my first one.  The one non flat line cook I had a rubbernecker over for dinner who kept sniffing around under the dome.  Graphics and cook notes are a breeze.  Not as well defined as the Flameboss 200 or Fireboard FBX11.  But good enough.
    Now here is my latest addition and I bought this one.  I just bought a Tappecue Touch mainly just to have the ability to utilize as many as 8 probes or combination of dual probes or wireless probes.
    - Tappecue Touch is a boutique buy.  You can buy an already determined package or build your own with the type of probes you want (standard, dual, wireless) and then if you want to make it a true fan controller add the Cruise Control option.  I did not choose the Cruise Control option but I can add it for about $50 seeing how you can use the Tappecue with any of the fans I have.
    - Now I CAN NOT SPEAK for how it works as a temp controller but as a thermometer which I bought it for it is pretty darn good,
    - It is somewhat waterproof can withstand a rain shower but cannot be submerged in water.
    - I have played around with my unit on both my PKO grill and Hastybake Gourmet.  I had it set up using a dual probe (Chamber & Meat), wireless AirProbe2 (Tappecue's answer to the Meater) and a regular probe in the meat.  My experience with the three probes is that each one read within 1 degree of each other.  I was mainly interested in the performance of the AirProbe2.  Was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. 
    -  Lastly the Tappecue can run up to 4 fans with the proper setup...for all you Stoker users or folks with multiple cookers.
    @Mr1egg you have a multitude of great choices out to choose from.  You just need to figure out which one fits your need for the type of cooking you do.

V/R
    6baluts
    Quite an unusually diverse body of experience on these systems and a good write up.

6baluts said:
    Here is my experience with a couple of controllers that I own.  I did not buy all of these myself.  In fact, they have all been gifts from my kids who actually are very close but obviously never talk to each other and one from my wife.
    These are in no particular order other than the order I have received the controllers in.
    - BBQ Guru DX2 (wife) great controller well made, have had great success on using it on a MBGE, LBGE, PRIMO XL and Kikuya Hibatchi pot. This is a non wifi model.  Keeps a pretty tight cook set point wise but not the best of the controllers I own.
    -  Flameboss 200 (Daughter 1) another great controller.  Mr. Collins and his support team are top notch.  I have used this controller on MBGE, LBGE, and PRIMO XL.  Have never had an issue with this controller on any of my 4 BGE's.  However, this controller hates my PRIMO XL.  Have had a couple of runaway fires on the Primo.  Mr. Collins and his team pushed me some new probes well after warranty.  Have to admit I have quit using this on my PRIMO not worth the hassle.  I believe it is just my cooker that my unit does not like.  Flameboss seems to have the server issue corrected from years ago, and they do push a lot of updates to you.
    - Fireboard FBX11 (daughter 2) this is the first iteration of a fireboard. It is a great controller keeps decent control of temps.  Lots of graphing options if you are into that stuff and cook notes.  Has only gotten better since they got in bed with Yoder.  The new Fireboard 2 variant comes in a couple different flavors, and it is worth a look at in your search.  If you buy from them, I recommend buying a pit viper fan from BBQ Guru and use that as your fan vice the fireboard option.  If you would buy the fireboard fan recommend throttling it down to 20-30% output.
    - SMOBOT (Son) I am a huge fan and believer.  I think it helps that both Curtis and Eric are eggers.  As mentioned above that algorithm is SPOT ON... I have over 90 cooks on my SMOBOT and all, but one is pretty much a flat line cook too include my first one.  The one non flat line cook I had a rubbernecker over for dinner who kept sniffing around under the dome.  Graphics and cook notes are a breeze.  Not as well defined as the Flameboss 200 or Fireboard FBX11.  But good enough.
    Now here is my latest addition and I bought this one.  I just bought a Tappecue Touch mainly just to have the ability to utilize as many as 8 probes or combination of dual probes or wireless probes.
    - Tappecue Touch is a boutique buy.  You can buy an already determined package or build your own with the type of probes you want (standard, dual, wireless) and then if you want to make it a true fan controller add the Cruise Control option.  I did not choose the Cruise Control option but I can add it for about $50 seeing how you can use the Tappecue with any of the fans I have.
    - Now I CAN NOT SPEAK for how it works as a temp controller but as a thermometer which I bought it for it is pretty darn good,
    - It is somewhat waterproof can withstand a rain shower but cannot be submerged in water.
    - I have played around with my unit on both my PKO grill and Hastybake Gourmet.  I had it set up using a dual probe (Chamber & Meat), wireless AirProbe2 (Tappecue's answer to the Meater) and a regular probe in the meat.  My experience with the three probes is that each one read within 1 degree of each other.  I was mainly interested in the performance of the AirProbe2.  Was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. 
    -  Lastly the Tappecue can run up to 4 fans with the proper setup...for all you Stoker users or folks with multiple cookers.
    @Mr1egg you have a multitude of great choices out to choose from.  You just need to figure out which one fits your need for the type of cooking you do.

V/R
    6baluts
    Thank you very much for your write up, I’ve been doing research lately,  need to pull the trigger kinda soon.
  • This type requires no electricity but it does have many other needs.

• This type requires no electricity but it does have many other needs.

Just showed my wife and asked her if she could see herself getting equally comfortable with my Eggs. If anyone needs to contact me, you’ll have to send snail mail. There is no wifi in the shed. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    OhioEgger said:
    Mr1egg said:
    OhioEgger said:
    I like the fact that it lets a kamado work as it was intended, with airflow controlled by opening/closing the bottom and top vents, rather than blowing air up through it.

But even more than that, I found that its algorithm is far more accurate than the Flameboss (at least the 200 version I had) and is so much better at maintaining the set temperature without overshooting it. The first cook was a little rough, but then it learned the parameters of my BGE and since then it has been a real gem.
    From a former guru user, exactly what @o@OhioEgger said.  There is no comparison in effort between the two.  Adding a fan to the equation complicates matters....especially if your seal has the slightest leak.  I agree on the algorithm comment.  Smobot for the win
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Mr1egg
    How do I control the temp with the smobot when I don’t want to use the app? Can I just turn it off and control my temps normally?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Mr1egg said:
    How do I control the temp with the smobot when I don’t want to use the app? Can I just turn it off and control my temps normally?
    Yes, that's how I run mine.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    @Mr1egg one thing not mentioned about the Smobot which is a great attribute is that it's a mizer on juice if you desire to run it off a battery pack. Not sure it makes a difference in your hunt for a controller but wanted to put it out there.
    V/R
    6baluts
  • Mr1egg
    6baluts said:
    @Mr1egg one thing not mentioned about the Smobot which is a great attribute is that it's a mizer on juice if you desire to run it off a battery pack. Not sure it makes a difference in your hunt for a controller but wanted to put it out there.
    V/R
    6baluts
    I’ve been watching vids on the smobot and seen that it can run off of a battery pack which is really cool.. I ran electricity to my nest when I first built it but I still like this option. 

Only thing that bothers me about this controller is that it has only two meat probes. 
  • OhioEgger
    edited January 2022
    Using the Smobot app is a convenience, but not necessary. Perfectly possible to just use it by itself. And @6baluts mentioned another good point -- i agree that it takes very little power so a small battery pack is fine if you don't have electricity at your cooking spot. I've used it both ways just to check on that, although I do have an outlet I use most of the time.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    edited January 2022
    @Mr1egg I hear you concerning the two(2) guest of honor probes. Would be nice if you had the ability for more probes if desired.
    - Only once did I find myself short 1 probe and can’t remember if I used an old Maverick, Polder or Holland probe and thermo it worked fine.
    - I know Flameboss offered jumpers for the 200 model to increase probe numbers.
    - Fireboard gives you up to 6 probes
    - Not sure what Guru options exist for my DX2.
    - Tappacue offer up to 8 probes with jumpers.
    - Not sure of the durability but Tappecue dual probe meat/pit chamber all in one probe so far has been great. 
    As I mentioned in my “controller manifesto” above find the controller that works best for your cooking need. With that said the Smobot answers all my bells and is hard to beat. Lack of probes may be a show stopper for you.
    To confuse you more do not forget to look at “Pitmaster IQ”, Q Master Senior, BBQube (inventor of that hangs in the Red Room Forum) and Auber Instruments among others.
    V/R
    6baluts

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Mr1egg said:
    Absolutely, just don't open the app and control everything from the controller at the egg.  SUPER simple.  That comes from a former fan user.  No egg is perfect, if we can agree to that.  Every egg has some quirks (leaky gasket, slightly misaligned hinge, etc).  Add a fan to that equation and it makes for inconsistent results using a fan and controller to control temps.  SMOBOT does the job without the fan and it's not finicky like my Guru was.  I would give it to you but I gave it to someone last year.....and they hate it.  Good luck!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • AZHigh
    AZHigh Posts: 11
    FlameBoss 500.  Gets your Egg up to temp faster from the start. Close the lid, close the upper vents to almost nothing.  Set your temp on the controller or on the app.  Easy.  Can monitor 3 meats. For the last 5 years, I have smoked the neighbors 20lb turkey with mine.  Pretty handy. Does have a rechargeable battery as an option.  Customer service is awesome if you need it. 

• I am very intrigued by this discussion.  I recently purchased the Billows device from ThermoWorks and as of now liked the experience…anyone else  using different blowers have any pros or cons on the Billows device…
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I'm using a Billows. Its the only fan ATC I've used on my LBGE.

It should have come with the yellow plastic damper, not to limit the fan output, but to limit the "fan is not running" inlet air.

My first cook with the billows I had to block off over half of the fan inlet with blue painters tape, and it had nothing to do with the output of the fan, it was just to keep the temps down.

My last cook with the Billows was overnight and it was rock solid stable at 225

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • I agree that the device should have come with the dampener… one of my complaints about ThermoWorks… Nickel and dime you on a part that cost 3 bucks… just sell it with the device and charge a few bucks more… in any event at the the next sale I will have to buy it along with some of their silicone products…without it I was able to smoke a korubata ham steady at 325 on the BGE…