Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pandemic Meal and Grocery Exchange

Was going to post this within another thread, but then decided to make it a standalone. 

Within the very first few days of the pandemic, our family purchased a home located not far from my wife’s sister’s place. Has been nice being in closer proximity to them and they were very kind and helpful as we moved in - including help with manual labour from my B-I-L, such as resending a very large deck on an exceptionally hot day. 

As has been everyone’s experience, the pandemic has created some challenges on the home front for our family. Significant modifications to work and schooling arrangements have served to erode our daily routines and instead replace them with the ups, downs and general uncertainties of many aspects of our lives. No two days are similar, and the bobbing and weaving necessitated by various public health measures has been challenging.

Since the pandemic began, my wife’s sister and husband have been very kind in offering to grab groceries for us and drop them off when making a trip and also in making additional portions of whatever they are cooking for contactless delivery to us, thereby alleviating some of our domestic responsibilities while also exposing us to many new and fantastic recipes. Luckily for us, they are both fantastic cooks (he often cooks on a KJ and she is an exceptional baker), so this has been a real silver lining throughout the pandemic ordeal. We in turn reciprocate, though if I am honest, I think they are ahead of us by quite a margin. 

These acts of kindness have not only been helpful, but have also been a great way of connecting with family and bonding over a common love of food during trying times, as the meal exchange often prompts complimentary discussions and often results in recipe sharing. I believe my B-I-L is a member on this forum, but doesn’t post actively and is unlikely to see this post. Regardless, I wanted to post this, partially in recognition of these gracious acts and partially because I thought it might give others ideas or prompt stories about similar ways of helping friends or family living in close proximity. 

Cheers. 

(Delivered last night and pictured here are Asian-glazed salmon and roasted broccoli served on a bed of soba noodles and topped with pickled ginger. Paired with a nice Sauvignon Blanc. Was fantastic.)

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Lucky man! When we moved to town, we ended up moving about five houses down from my wife’s sister. It does help a lot. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    @GrateEggspectations thank you for sharing!  What a wonderful positive to come out of these trying times.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Positive all the way right there.  Way to make the most of the ever changing environment.  Win-win for sure.  Couldn't have happened at a better time.
    Glad you posted this as a stand-alone topic.  Great plate right there, BTW.
    The B-I-L you mention I gather is the one who has a stable of exotics, always in search of more garage space? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They say you can't pick your family, looks like you got lucky.
    Glad you posted this as a stand-alone topic.  Great plate right there, BTW.
    The B-I-L you mention I gather is the one who has a stable of exotics, always in search of more garage space? 
    Thanks, Frank. No, different family member. The one interested in cars doesn’t quite yet have a stable (though the M5 purchased last spring is a solid start), but if he receives all three ordered, the stable will have been firmly launched, both figuratively and literally. 
  • Thank you for this post. What a great inspiration for all of us!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Great post!  I moved to the Ottawa Valley from Toronto to live near my sister and her husband, I don't drive, be thankful, we are both into cooking, me, I smoke, she makes bread and her soups are to die for.  We share food back and forth.  In these times of shortages, between the two houses we eat very well, thanks to three freezers and lots of canned  goods.  

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we are living similar existences with respect to location and relationships with family. I forget if you mentioned previously, but where are you in the Ottawa area? How do you like it relative to Toronto? Bet the pace is pretty different, especially if you’re not located in the city here. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    GrateEggspectations said:

I believe my B-I-L is a member on this forum, but doesn’t post actively and is unlikely to see this post.

Nice way to introduce a troll account 🤣😂

Joking aside, it sounds like you won the jackpot! 👍👍👍

Beautiful!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas