Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Compendium of Spice Blend Recipes used by Hello Fresh

Options
Sweet100s
Sweet100s Posts: 553
edited January 2022 in EggHead Forum
A buddy recommended Hello Fresh's Shawarma spice blend recipe to me
Thought you cooking mavens here might find this collection of spice blend recipes handy: 

Lots of their spice blend recipes in an image

For clear text that you can copy and paste, then adjust to your own preference. 

=== Note - for Shawarma, I searched this forum, and this one posted by Theophan a while back looks more interesting 

However, now that I look at it, what I'm looking for is a Kofte recipe, not Schwarma. 
I'm craving Central Market's version of: 
MIDDLE EASTERN-STYLE LAMB & BEEF KOFTA

But at $12.99 / lb, I can probably make it just as tasty with ground lamb from the freezer with the right recipe...

Found these via this forum: 

Comments

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Nice find, thanks for sharing!
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Thanks for posting those!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Traviswright
    Options
    Sorry to break the news to you that Hello Fresh did not invent the shawarma spice blend.  Shawarma spice blend is a mix of spices used in Middle Eastern countries for making shawarma and other beef or chicken dishes. Maybe Hello Fresh is using their own mix of ingredients. Anyway, I don't think Hello Fresh is a good solution for long term food product development, because the food contains a lot of sodium and preservatives. It is not the way you prepare food at home. There might be some less sodium and preservative version of the same recipe in Better Homes and Gardens. If you like experimenting with food and want to get into food product development, I recommend checking out some food product development blogs. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sorry to break the news to you that Hello Fresh did not invent the shawarma spice blend.  Shawarma spice blend is a mix of spices used in Middle Eastern countries for making shawarma and other beef or chicken dishes. Maybe Hello Fresh is using their own mix of ingredients. Anyway, I don't think Hello Fresh is a good solution for long term food product development, because the food contains a lot of sodium and preservatives. It is not the way you prepare food at home. There might be some less sodium and preservative version of the same recipe in Better Homes and Gardens. If you like experimenting with food and want to get into food product development, I recommend checking out some food product development blogs. 

Too early in the thread…

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sorry to break the news to you that Hello Fresh did not invent the shawarma spice blend.  Shawarma spice blend is a mix of spices used in Middle Eastern countries for making shawarma and other beef or chicken dishes.

Thank you, but I do think that’s pretty well understood here for regional spice blends in general.

Welcome.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Sweet100s - whereabouts are you located? If you're ever in the Houston area, Phoenicia is a great place to start for all kinds of Middle Eastern ingredients, and foods. 

You may have already thought about this, but if you can track down some ingredients like sumac, zaatar, or aleppo pepper, you'll likely end up with something delicious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like the OP's first link, at least, was free from salts and preservatives.   Since most of the spices we buy are dried and in granular form, it's not very common to find preservatives in them anyway except maybe something to keep it from caking when there are hygroscopic ingredients.  I agree putting salt in spices dilutes the value and flexibility of use as salt is cheap and everyone has a different idea of where the spice should be relative to the salt.

rhellofresh - Hello Fresh Spice Blends

Options
    caliking said:
    @Sweet100s - whereabouts are you located? If you're ever in the Houston area, Phoenicia is a great place to start for all kinds of Middle Eastern ingredients, and foods. 

You may have already thought about this, but if you can track down some ingredients like sumac, zaatar, or aleppo pepper, you'll likely end up with something delicious. 
    Phoenicia in Austin as well, south Lamar.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Really good stuff there if you’re interested in food blogs 🙄