Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tzalam and copper outdoor kitchen

Options

My wife gave me my XL for my birthday with the condition that I was not allowed to use it until I build a proper home for it. I was in a real hurry; it took me a few weekends.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Arthk said:

My wife gave me my XL for my birthday with the condition that I was not allowed to use it until I build a proper home for it. I was in a real hurry; it took me a few weekends.

That space is amazing! Very nicely done.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Beautiful deign and work… but gotta ask…it that even anywhere close to your home?like'where you and your family live and sleep?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Arthk
    Arthk Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes this is my backyard... there is a glass door to the left of the picture that connects to my kitchen and my garden is to the right.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I love the idea of the hood and that one in particular.  Does is have a fan or just natural draw?
  • Arthk
    Options

I took inspiration for the hood from the mid-century fireplaces, it was made by an artisan in Santa Clara del Cobre Mexico, it was a total experiment, and I was considering using an extractor but there is actually no need, the draw is quite good.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Arthk- Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Beautiful setup and space. 
    The concern here is the potential for the heat from your XLBGE causing a fire to your home.  The radiant heat with the high temperature cooks are one piece, the errant lump charcoal spark from ignition another.  
    Just be mindful and enjoy a sweet setup.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Arthk
    Options

@lousubcap, yes always a concern, the walls behind it are brick and I placed a nest on top of a granite disk, the space between the egg and the wood counter seams enough to keep it at a reasonable temperature, but will be careful.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I was thinking the whole time that it looks like the top of those cool orange or olive green freestanding fireplaces.  So great.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Very impressive!
    Stillwater, MN
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Beautiful work. My only advice.  The egg quickly builds up Creosote especially in the dome.  It tends to run down the sides and will show up on the wall behind it.  Hot cook burn offs will keep it down but also be hot.  May end up doing a copper decorative piece on the wall behind it backslash ish art deco.

Love it.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a beautiful spot. Very nicely done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.