Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YAPRP (Yet Another Prime Rib Post)

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited December 2021 in EggHead Forum
Served with pommes de terre au gratin dauphinois AKA scallop potatoes and miniature roasted corns:

Started by dry aging a small prime rib roast (2 bones / 2.4 KG) in the basement fridge a couple of weeks ago (rubbed with plenty of salt) and took it out of the fridge at room temperature 2-3 hours before cooking:

Prepared a bed of red onions (1 big), garlic (2 heads), thyme, beef broth (2 cups), and Worcestershire sauce:

Rubbed with a mix of Dijon mustard (2 TBSP), tomato paste (2 TBSP), Meaux mustard (1 TBSP), minced garlic (2 cloves), coarsely ground pepper, and Worcestershire sauce (1 TBSP):

Baked @ 250F until the internal temperature reached 118F (2.5 hours).  I then let the roast rest at room temperature for 2 hours.  While resting, the temperature peaked at 133F after one hour, and then dropped to 125F one hour later (after a total of 2 hours):

I the finished at 500F for 10 minutes and carved immediately after taking it out:

Scallop potatoes:

For lunch today:

Will make au jus beef dips tonight or tomorrow.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Dayum, I nominate this as prime rib cook of all prime rib cooks this season, no offence to others  =)
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,304
    edited December 2021
    Options
    That looks incredible. Incredible. Very nicely done. Guess my invite got lost in the mail. 🙃

Hope you and yours are well and are enjoying the holidays. 

Edit: Where’d ya buy that rib roast? I’ve recently been buying a lot of my meat at the Costco Business Centre. It’s close to me, and the place is almost always empty. Also, can you please share your recipes?

• paqman
    Options
    That looks incredible. Incredible. Very nicely done. Guess my invite got lost in the mail. 🙃

Hope you and yours are well and are enjoying the holidays. 

Edit: Where’d ya buy that rib roast? I’ve recently been buying a lot of my meat at the Costco Business Centre. It’s close to me, and the place is almost always empty. Also, can you please share your recipes?

No invitations, Christmas pretty much got cancelled here, it is just me and my wife.  All of my brother’s family is now in quarantine, home sick from COVID.  The kids are sick but OK, sister-in-law is in pretty bad shape.  Half of the other people we were supposed to see also tested positive so we are playing it safe and not seeing anyone.  Stay safe!

Got the prime rib roast for 15$/KG 3-4 weeks ago from Metro, 17$/KG this week I think (Canadian).

Recipe for the potatoes is from @nolaegghead and can be found here (I used the roasted garlic from the roast in the cheese sauce): https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188387/the-best-ever-potatoes-au-gratin-recipe/p1

The rub for the roast was basically a mix of:
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Meaux mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 cloves minced garlic
    Coarse ground black pepper
    Fresh thyme

Absolutely superb. Great looking meal and post!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations I find meat availability at Business and regular Costco hit n miss. We use flipp to check for weekly supermarket deals/availability, e.g. Dec 22-24 Loblaw and RCSS had AA prime rib 6.88/lb, the week before Metro had Angus prime rib 6.99/lb.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Excellent prep, plan, and execution.  10/10 would eat!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    World Class cook right there!
    And beautiful photos to match!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Just fabulous, all the way around!

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Canugghead
    Options
    I feel sorry for the cow, got killed twice  ;)
    canuckland
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Wow, that looks fantastic! Congrats. What a great cook.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Everything looks mouth watering, really nice cooking and photo's.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm inspired to make scalloped taters after seeing yours.  Merry Christmas!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    As @Canugghead crowned, that finish is about the best I have seen here.
    Given Boxing Day is close to my favorite movie day, here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2_vbou3kxE  
    Impressive across the board and appreciate the keys to finish.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    Yorkshire pudding for that prime rib? 
  • paqman
    Options
    2BAMBAM4 said:
    Yorkshire pudding for that prime rib? 
    I never baked Yorkshire pudding, maybe it is time to change that!

Options
    O. M. G. 

So much awesome. Thanks for the recipes. I don’t have a set protocol for prime rib, so this has been bookmarked for the next try. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    Saw the thread title so felt compelled to post this;

By explanation;
    1) Hot Fuzz
    2) Bloke on the right is a notorious Bond-blocker  @Ozzie_Isaac @JohnInCarolina @nolaegghead @Eoin
    3) re; #1, this film was wasted on the public. So many Police in-jokes it could have been a training video.
    4) I'll remind you there's no OT flag anymore.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

By explanation;
    1) Hot Fuzz
    2) Bloke on the right is a notorious Bond-blocker  @Ozzie_Isaac @JohnInCarolina @nolaegghead @Eoin
    3) re; #1, this film was wasted on the public. So many Police in-jokes it could have been a training video.
    Something tells me you're balls deep into the holiday spirits and vodka martinis over there, Ed.  
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    May I ask if you trimmed off the pelicule/dried out exterior? Your pictures seem to show untrimmed meat.

Have been doing some dry ageing myself and all sources specifically instruct to trim the outer part (causing additional loss).

If you did not, how was the outside of the meat during the meal.

Great cook btw! That is a cut of meat I think I cannot find here in Belgium.

OT: I LOVE Hot Fuzz  =)
  • paqman
    Options
    iudex said:
    May I ask if you trimmed off the pelicule/dried out exterior? Your pictures seem to show untrimmed meat.

Have been doing some dry ageing myself and all sources specifically instruct to trim the outer part (causing additional loss).

If you did not, how was the outside of the meat during the meal.

Great cook btw! That is a cut of meat I think I cannot find here in Belgium.

OT: I LOVE Hot Fuzz  =)
    No trimming at all this time.   There was no dry/hard meat.  I do trim a bit when dry aging longer. 

Options
    @iudex if you prefer to trim, you can add the trimmings to the fond to make a better/richer broth.

Options
    CPFC1905 said:

By explanation;
    1) Hot Fuzz
    I was about to post a YARP/(NARP?) that having only read the thread title. 

Flipping channels the other day and caught Hot Fuzz again.  Masterpiece.

Hot Fuzz Reaction Gifs GIF  Gfycat

Options
    Food looks fantastic!
    My wife’s words while I showed her this post…. for a second time: “you know, I really don’t find cooked meat quite as exciting as you do.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Leopoldstoch - oh my
  • paqman
    Options
    yep

Options
    paqman said:
    yep
    I should have replied: Yarp!