Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Turkey!!

Got the new XL all installed (when I trucked him home from MN, there were parts of the table nest missing. So the guys at GSM sent them right away).  But I've been on the road, so now we cooking!!!

Comments

• Looks great!  Happy Thanksgiving!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I'm bumping this up.  The husband wasn't thrilled when I bought my medium egg.  So when I brought home the XL BGE, he warmed up to it...even asked how to start it, etc.

So I used the electric starter.  Well, it was really old and finally broke.

So, when I was on the road this week, he decided to use the egg.  Starter didn't work.  He said he didn't want to use newspaper....so.....yes.....he used LIGHTER FLUID!!!!!

So, 2 questions:  is it ruined?  He said he didn't notice any off smells.

And 2nd question: I'm gonna go right now to Ace and buy a new starter.  What do you all like/use?  The big ol turbo igniter?  (That's what I was thinking).  Little fire start cubes?  Maybe I should just go get another electric starter.

Also, included a pic of my Thanksgiving bird...

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Just burn it off at 450-550 for an hour or so. That should take care of any off putting remnants of the fluid. I like to have several lighting tools on hand. Torch for high heat cooks or if I’m in a hurry. Lighter blocks from BGE or whoever for when I’m not in a hurry. I also have their electric starter that is highly effective but I rarely if ever use personally. 

Hope you and your husband enjoy the Egg. 
  • Wow not sure how I missed this, congratulations on the new egg!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Guilty here of missing this as well.  Great bird right there. Congrats.  
    A relatively high heat burn as suggested by @pgprescott will do it.  I would use a completely new load of lump for the burn.
    Start up wise, I will use one small section (around an inch in length) of Strike-a-Fire matches for L&S cooks, three or four pieces for hot&fast cooks \.
    If needing to get up to temp quickly I will use a weed burner but be careful of flying embers should you go that route.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Haha...thanks guys.   He has me on another task......at Home Depot, looking for ceramic tile!  Maybe I'll check out the bbq section...
  • Might want to get rid of (or hide) the lighter fluid going forward.