Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT — bah!! Any recs for a squirrel PROOF bird feeder? —OT

2»

Comments

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited January 2019
    This is has worked perfectly for me for the past three seasons.  It wraps around the pole below the feeder.  I bought mine at home depot, but they are for sale on Amazon as well.  It is a Squirrel -X bird feeder baffle for bird feeder poles.  Mine is attached to a square-shaped Shepard hook, I had to tighten down a bit more than I think one would if this was attached to a round shepherds pole. 

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2019
    Higher priced option but the squirrels won't hear it coming! A 20ga does a great job around here too.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    SquirrelBuster Plus. They work!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    @Mickey pushed us over the edge. 

Thanks all for the great suggeations. 

We bit the bullet on the five pounder squirrel buster. 

Have camel alerts on everything else. 

Now - for great BIRD SEED!!

thank you, again!
    8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I have a 50 gallon deer feeder and a small hanging bird feeder. The squirrels and the birds learned how to get corn from the thrower on the deer feeder. The deer have learned how to hit the bird feeder with their head and get the seeds out of the bird feeder. Maybe I should have swapped the feed in the two of them. 

When the squirrel population gets too high and they all learn how to raid the deer feeder, the squirrel population gets thinned out real quick. A good lead slinger is useful. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mickey
    edited January 2019
    We run different feed in each of the three. I do toss a couple of handfuls of peanuts in the shells on the ground each day for the squirrels. 
    I only feed about 3" up the glass (not to the full mark on advice of customer service). 
    They are 100% under warranty and THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE ANYWHERE. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Mickey said:
    We run different feed in each of the three. I do toss a couple of handfuls of peanuts in the shells on the ground each day for the squirrels. 
    I only feed about 3" up the glass (not to the full mark on advice of customer service). 
    Why not fill them up? Seed goes bad?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Mickey said:
    Why not fill them up? Seed goes bad?
    We have two and fill them about 1/3 to 1/2 way. On occasion we will get moisture in the tube, which makes the seeds stick together and the birds will not eat them. We live in Florida and it seems the humidity causes this coupled with heavy blowing rain entering the bottom seed chamber. Like Mickey said warranty and customer service is top notch.

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Well, the squirrels are back in the attic. Your dad won't call an exterminator. He says it’s personal this time...
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I used a piece of stove pipe as a baffle. Squirrel free for 25+ years on this one. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Squirrels are a lot more fun to watch than birds so why not just enjoy that show?  
  • We had our first hawk visit. No idea what kind, and if I hadn’t been flailing around to keep from a bloodbath in my yard, I would’ve taken a picture. Really pretty.

He didn’t seem too upset that I was there.
    Hmmm......
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    How close are your neighbours????

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • I think the easiest way to stop squirrels from eating bird seed is to hang the bird feeder away from the trees, or put it in the middle of the yard where there is no cover. Hanging the feeder on a fishing line doesn't always work. A divider can be used instead. This is an effective method to keep squirrels away from bird seeds if the squirrel dares to climb into the bird's feeder. Squirrels hate the smell of cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, or garlic. Sprinkle pepper on the yard or the area around the birds sure to keep the annoying squirrels away for a while.

• steveear said:
    I think the easiest way to stop squirrels from eating bird seed is to hang the bird feeder away from the trees, or put it in the middle of the yard where there is no cover. Hanging the feeder on a fishing line doesn't always work. A divider can be used instead. This is an effective method to keep squirrels away from bird seeds if the squirrel dares to climb into the bird's feeder. Squirrels hate the smell of cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, or garlic. Sprinkle pepper on the yard or the area around the birds sure to keep the annoying squirrels away for a while.

Solid 1st post.
  • Resistance is futile.  Assimilate.  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Just feed the damn squirrels,  you squirrel haters.
    I thought the same thing until the little sob's got in the attic.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2021
    I have had good results with mixing hot sauce with bird seed. It’s an extra step, but works.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • we bought these things for my MIL:

think of how embarrassed the squirrels feel afterward.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • steveear said:
    I think the easiest way to stop squirrels from eating bird seed is to hang the bird feeder away from the trees, or put it in the middle of the yard where there is no cover. Hanging the feeder on a fishing line doesn't always work. A divider can be used instead. This is an effective method to keep squirrels away from bird seeds if the squirrel dares to climb into the bird's feeder. Squirrels hate the smell of cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, or garlic. Sprinkle pepper on the yard or the area around the birds sure to keep the annoying squirrels away for a while.

Squirrels are very determined to disturb your peace. They will do anything to get food. I shared many methods here because you might need all of them to stop squirrels from eating the bird seed from the feeder or container.
  • The diverse wealth of knowledge on this forum boggles the mind.
     OP asks for advice on a subject, days later a expert who wrote a article on that very subject chimes in.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    At my old house my feeders where in the middle of the yard bc I didn’t have any trees close to the house. The squirrels and raccoons destroyed my feeders are the time. At my new place there is a tree I can hang them from and the squirrels haven’t bothered them at all. Now my problem is the cost of feed is getting redonk. $35 for 20# bag of peanuts?!??
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• My bird feeder is a ghost town, I havent figured out whats going on.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• chzplz said:
    I have a Brome “Squirrel Buster Classic” hanging from a tree branch. Squirrels have not been able to figure it out.

...but a chipmunk wasn’t heavy enough to trip the squirrel-proofing mechanism and this guy had a lazy pig out. I didn’t mind. 

I have two of the Original Bromes, which work quite well at keeping the squirrels out.   What impressed me about the company was when I called needing a replacement part.   They sent them out promptly, without charge and without needing a receipt, etc.   The company really stands behind their products.

The Original Squirrel Buster, like I have, are not adjustable.  I think the newer models can be adjusted to prevent the chipmunk.
    Raleigh, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Eat moar squirrels.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think you should forget the fancy feeders and just call BigGreenDave and see if he and his buddy Jimmy could help you out. They kick butt when it comes to baggin' tree rats.
    squirrels-on-tail-gatejpg

Maybe they could even bring some of that fancy wine (if they didn't use it all for the herb garden border). You could trade 'em for a case of PBR.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/858629/bge-tree-rat-and-fancy-wine/p1

=)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    That post always kills me.  

That is not even are dog!

Best caption to a photo, ever!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • I think I could hear my brain cells dying as I read through it. Absolutely brilliant and tragic at the same time.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Mickey

Took a squirrel proof feeder to Florida. Turns out not bear proof. The company did send me all new parts. I took it back to Texas.