Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question For Our Neighbors In The GWN

Options
SWMBO and I are headed to Ottawa for Christmas with our oldest son and his family. As part of the trip we are spending a couple days in an AirBnB in Quebec City. We plan to hit up the two larger Christmas markets, but I am looking for recommendations on other things to do, places to eat, etc. 

Also on the itinerary is dinner at Joe Beef - can’t wait.
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• gabriegger
    Options
    You have to check out two legendary hotels in Ottawa. The Lafayette and The Prescott Hotel. Not fancy but definitely able to quench the thirst. And don’t forget to say “eh” when ordering. As in ‘I’ll have a quart of 50 eh?”  Yes quart bottles at The Laff. 
    https://www.thelaff.ca/ & https://theprescott.com/
    When leaving tip well and say “Tabbernack this is a good spot!”

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    You have to check out two legendary hotels in Ottawa. The Lafayette and The Prescott Hotel. Not fancy but definitely able to quench the thirst. And don’t forget to say “eh” when ordering. As in ‘I’ll have a quart of 50 eh?”  Yes quart bottles at The Laff. 

I was under the impression that words such as tabarnak, câlice, and baptême were part of the Quebec lexicon and not so prevalent in Ontario. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    if i were heading to quebec around christmas i would bring skis. have not been but heard the mountaian views looking over the st lawrence are great. have heard you can catch atlantic halibut ice fishing as well, cant even imagine that... someday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice to hear you’ll be making the trek to my neck of the woods - Ottawa. Hope you enjoy your time here. 

Quebec City is an extremely beautiful city with a very vibrant artistic and culinary scene. Lots of great restaurants and art galleries. If you are so inclined, set aside some cash for artwork. We visited dozens of galleries and narrowed it down to a few pieces before making a final selection on a canvas to bring home. We had driven in a two-door sports car, so I had to have my seat all the way forward with the painting’s frame bending inside the cabin just to bring it home. I have no doubt you’ll find a piece that tickles your fancy. The Quartier Petit Champlain features a lot of galleries hidden within the neat architecture of the area. 

You might like the museum of fine arts or the aquarium as well. Montmorency falls are beautiful, though I have no idea what they are like in the winter.  You might also like to visit the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Québec. It is Canada’s oldest church. The Plains of Abraham and Citadel, famed for historic battles, are also worthy of consideration. Île d’Orleans makes for a nice visit outside of the city, where you can find a lot of nice artisanal products and things to take home for yourself or for loved ones. 

For restaurants, you may want to consider the famed Saint-Amour. It is a staple of Quebec gastronomy and is known to be frequented by the rich and famous. It specializes in haute cuisine and I s not cheap, but was very good when I was last there about a decade ago. https://www.saint-amour.com/?lang=en I have not been to the Joe Beef in Quebec City, but have been to the one in Montreal and also bought the cookbook. You will enjoy. 

Quebec City is well known for its winter festival, Carnival. Unfortunately, that happens in February, but its existence is indicative that this is a city that embraces the winter. Make sure you dress for the weather, as Quebec City can get mighty chilly!!!

I am jealous of your trip there. It is such a cool city!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    CTMike said:

I was under the impression that words such as tabarnak, câlice, and baptême were part of the Quebec lexicon and not so prevalent in Ontario. 
    Ottawa straddles the Ontario/Quebec border, so features a healthy mix of French and English. Many residents are fluent in both languages and use them interchangeably. The big city on the Quebec side is called Gatineau. If you need recommendations of restaurants and things to do while in the area, let me know, as I can send a lot of suggestions your way. That being said, I’m sure your son can keep you in good stead!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    From what I can remember, you can't turn right on red in Montreal, so be aware if you drive through or make a stopover there.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    From what I can remember, you can't turn right on red in Montreal, so be aware if you drive through or make a stopover there.

what is wrong with those people
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CTMike
    Options
    Nice to hear you’ll be making the trek to my neck of the woods - Ottawa. Hope you enjoy your time here. 

Quebec City is an extremely beautiful city with a very vibrant artistic and culinary scene. Lots of great restaurants and art galleries. If you are so inclined, set aside some cash for artwork. We visited dozens of galleries and narrowed it down to a few pieces before making a final selection on a canvas to bring home. We had driven in a two-door sports car, so I had to have my seat all the way forward with the painting’s frame bending inside the cabin just to bring it home. I have no doubt you’ll find a piece that tickles your fancy. The Quartier Petit Champlain features a lot of galleries hidden within the neat architecture of the area. 

You might like the museum of fine arts or the aquarium as well. Montmorency falls are beautiful, though I have no idea what they are like in the winter.  You might also like to visit the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Québec. It is Canada’s oldest church. The Plains of Abraham and Citadel, famed for historic battles, are also worthy of consideration. Île d’Orleans makes for a nice visit outside of the city, where you can find a lot of nice artisanal products and things to take home for yourself or for loved ones. 

For restaurants, you may want to consider the famed Saint-Amour. It is a staple of Quebec gastronomy and is known to be frequented by the rich and famous. It specializes in haute cuisine and I s not cheap, but was very good when I was last there about a decade ago. https://www.saint-amour.com/?lang=en I have not been to the Joe Beef in Quebec City, but have been to the one in Montreal and also bought the cookbook. You will enjoy. 

Quebec City is well known for its winter festival, Carnival. Unfortunately, that happens in February, but its existence is indicative that this is a city that embraces the winter. Make sure you dress for the weather, as Quebec City can get mighty chilly!!!

I am jealous of your trip there. It is such a cool city!
    @GrateEggspectations Thanks for all the intel. We will actually be going to Joe Beef in Montreal as the grandkids will be with us in Quebec. My son’s MIL will be babysitting while we drive from Ottawa to Montreal and back for dinner. 

I have already made an obligatory stop at Schwart’z deli for the MSM (twice actually), so Joe Beef is next to cross off the bucket list. 

My son doesn’t live in Ottawa with his family yet as he doesn’t have a work visa. He has started that process and his Canadian citizen paperwork is started. He currently has an apt just over the border in Norfolk, NY and drives to Ottawa Friday afternoon and returns to Norfolk Monday mornings. He is an internal audit manager for a tech company so his work is 100% remote. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Au Pied de Cochon (French/Québécois Bistro style) in Montréal is another good option but you can’t go wrong with Joe Beef.

La Cabane au Pied de cochon (sugar shack in Mirabel) is a once in a lifetime experience if you can manage to get a reservation.

In Quebec city, my recommendations would be Portofino (Italian), Charbon (steakhouse), Le Rascal (steakhouse), and La Bête (steakhouse).  Le Rascal is nothing fancy but it is a good value if you don’t want to break the bank.  The other two steakhouses are a bit fancier and more expensive they have websites with their menu posted online.  Pretty much any bistro in the Old Québec city.

I guess that things are getting back to normal but with the pandemic I’m not sure if they will all be fully open…

Options
    @CTMike you may have already looked into this, but check what you need to prove vaccination status, if you’re planning to dine out. 

A sibling travelled to Montreal recently, and this was required. Eggheads in the GWN will, of course, have the most current  intel. 

Sounds like you already have a wonderful trip planned!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    edited November 2021
    Options
    paqman said:
    Au Pied de Cochon (French/Québécois Bistro style) in Montréal is another good option but you can’t go wrong with Joe Beef.

La Cabane au Pied de cochon (sugar shack in Mirabel) is a once in a lifetime experience if you can manage to get a reservation.

In Quebec city, my recommendations would be Portofino (Italian), Charbon (steakhouse), Le Rascal (steakhouse), and La Bête (steakhouse).  Le Rascal is nothing fancy but it is a good value if you don’t want to break the bank.  The other two steakhouses are a bit fancier and more expensive they have websites with their menu posted online.  Pretty much any bistro in the Old Québec city.

I guess that things are getting back to normal but with the pandemic I’m not sure if they will all be fully open…

@paqman,

Thanks for the info, will definitely check them out, but unfortunately the Sugar Shack is closed for the year - we had already looked in to it after seeing it on own of Bourdain’s episodes. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited November 2021
    Options
    caliking said:
    @CTMike you may have already looked into this, but check what you need to prove vaccination status, if you’re planning to dine out. 

A sibling travelled to Montreal recently, and this was required. Eggheads in the GWN will, of course, have the most current  intel. 

Sounds like you already have a wonderful trip planned!
    @caliking

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely look in to this. I know that we need a negative PCR test within 72 of crossing the border, but will look in to requirements for dining out. I know that when I visited my son and his family back in August I was required to wear a mask in public even though I’m fully vaxxed. Can’t remember if that was under Provincial or National law at the time. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    We arrived in Ottawa this past Tuesday, and have been having a great time with our grandkids and our son and daughter-in-law. 

We actually just got back to Ottawa after spending an amazing weekend in Quebec City - what an amazing place. Had lunch at one of the restaurant at the Fairmont Hotel - outstanding. 

One downside to the trip is we got a text from the staff at Joe Beef saying our reservation got cancelled because they are closing the restaurant until mid-January due to a Covid case amongst the staff. Oh well, another time. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Many restaurants are closed now but I am not entirely convinced that Joe Beef is closed because of COVID.  One of the owners has left the business and there is apparently some kind of conflict.

Glad you are enjoying your stay, how long are you staying?

It looks like the COVID situation is about to get bad again.  All our Christmas plans are canceled again this year.  My nephews are super disappointed, they were looking forward to a larger get together and I was too.  Stay safe!

Options
    We are headed back home on Boxing Day.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.