Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie Turkey - Stuffed or no?

Options
dannys
dannys Posts: 164
I've done turkey on the BGE before. MY family is so big, we cook one in the over the day before with stuffing. A second is done on the BGE on Turkey day sans stuffing. This year it is going to be different. Instead of 25 to 30 people, it's only 7. I've read through the previous posts on turkey and the Joetisserie but I still have questions. I'd like to stuff the turkey while it is cooking on the BGE/Jotisserie but I'm concerned about the stuffing falling out.  

First, I am well aware of the food safety issue. I always remove the bird when it is cooked then transfer the stuffing to the oven so it finishes cooking. I'm more interested in stuffing a bird for the Jotisserie.  Will it be flavored with the smoke (I typically use apple or cherry)?  Will it fall out and if so, how do I prevent it?

Maybe you have tried this and have some tips. I'd like to hear any experiences you had or tips to make this work.

TIA
Dan

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Never done that but I would precook the stuffing instead of digging out after to finish in oven, that way you have the whole works done at the same time...less mess and nicer presentation?

Last Christmas I made turducken, cooking it inside out one layer/bird at a time. Worked well...no worry with overcooked turkey and undercooked chicken.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I imagine the moist stuffing mix would stay packed in the bird.
    Things that can tumble around like hunks of onion and orange pieces usually fall out if you don’t skewer or stitch the opening closed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options

@canugghead I always rest the bird before carving it. There is plenty of time to finish cooking the stuffing and the oven is still on anyway.