Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old hinge vs new hinge

Options
Hey guys. I have a L BGE with the old hinge setup and I’m looking to swap over to the new setup that opens like the XL. I’m having a new table built right now and was worried if it will still work with new hinges? Do they require more clearance for opening? Thanks 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Bump
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Hey guys. I have a L BGE with the old hinge setup and I’m looking to swap over to the new setup that opens like the XL. I’m having a new table built right now and was worried if it will still work with new hinges? Do they require more clearance for opening? Thanks 
    That happened to me when I changed out. So I added another set of concrete stepping stones to raise the egg higher in the table.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    why not put a notch behind egg in table top
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    There are more than one type of old hinge. You might want to specify the age of yours to get more accurate responses. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mpenacho
    Options
    Old egg newer hinge. Size large

LBGE, XLBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    mpenacho said:
    Old egg newer hinge. Size large

I just tried AND failed to find an old picture of mine where I had removed a back board so that I could use a 1" Forestnor drill bit to create 2 custom holes where those back side hinge elbows would sit down.,
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.