Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - PSA for those who spent $$$ on Quartz Counters

Options
RyanStl
RyanStl Posts: 1,050
edited October 2021 in EggHead Forum
TLDR: Use backyard mud to clean metal marks from quartz counters.

The story:

We recently redid our kitchen and the wife had to have F'ng quartz countertops, white at that.  I'm a granite guy, but happy wife happy life, right?  Maybe if I say ok I'll have levarage on my spending.

The quartz gets installed.  Quartz is supposed to be the hardest, most indestructible counter.  Maybe, there is some obscure counter type tougher, but on all accounts Quartz is even tougher than granite.

I immediately started to notice blemishes and how a **** it is to keep white stuff clean (I warned her).  My way to deal is tell myself, well my old granite just hid stuff so before, we were living dirty.  Now, I'm forced to be fresh and clean, clean.  The wife just noticed after putting an aluminum serving tray on the counter there were gray marks left.  I didn't believe her, but started to look close and there are lots of marks all over the quartz.

None of our go to cleaning products worked getting it off.  Simple Green, 409, Magic Eraser, Goo Gone; nothing worked.  Researching cleaners, I learned Quartz is a finicky B'tch, no bleach or anything acid or basic.  Houz forums I was reading (not a member) said Scrubbing Bubles non-bleach or Bar Keepers Friend would get this off.  They failed to specify granite/stone BKF, BTW.  Glad I caught that BS.  BKF, granite is hard to find and the Scrubbing Bubbles didn't work.

Our last resort was a YouTube video of a guy using mud to clean the metal transfer marks.  I was confused to what he was actually using, so I read the comments.  People would ask and he would just say mud.  Pressed he said Mud from the shop and then mud with some sand for grit.  Well, my wife, frustrated all to hell, went to the back yard and got some dirt.  She added some water and spread it around.

The mud F'ng worked.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    I’ll have to put this into the memory bank. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Fabrication of those countertops is really really dangerous, silica dust tearing up lungs and for years not enough protections for the people making them.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    We too got quartz to make momma happy,   black
    Question, if you cant use bleach what can you use to kill salmonella and other invisible maladies that lurk on the countertops

I wanted all SS industrial kitchen,  she said no way
    Thanks for PSM
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The majority of the Earth's crust is some kind of feldspar (a mineral containing aluminum/silicon,etc) which is in most dirt (wet dirt is mud) and also in products like Barkeeper's Friend.  This is fine and dandy, however, the finest feldspar comes from three countries.  Regular old dirt/mud can have large particles that scratch your stone.  Try 2000 grit wet/dry paper.
    Options
    We have beige quartz counters and I feel your pain.  Bar Keepers Friends worked for us to get rid of the marks but you have to be careful because it can destroy the finish so we only use it when needed to get rid of the metal scratch marks.  I can see why mud works but you are basically sanding the top of your counters so be careful with that.  I would only apply and rub where the scratches are located, again, be careful with that.

Options
    I didn't realize how delicate quartz finish is. I really regret getting it over granite.  Everyone says use X product, but be careful unless it's something as gentle as Windex.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Be extremely careful using a magic eraser with any pressure cause it will change the sheen of the glue binder. A good home remedy for cleaning rough to get off stains us a mix of crest whitening toothpaste and blue dawn dish detergent. Just make a paste and rub with a damp white paper towel. 

A really good product to clean metal scuffs is Kenny’s Silestone cleaner. You can find on Amazon. Again use very light pressure and test in a hidden area of your counter. 

Also make sure you put a hot pad under your crockpot or any other heat generating appliances. I’ve seen crockpots and fry daddies cause the quartz to crack.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Yeah Quartz is a b%%tch ... I have it all over my house. In fact, in 3 bathrooms, I had to get rid of the white ones due to all the staining ... and replaced them with quartz (lol) ... but darker colors to hide any possible staining (that worked by the way).

Magic eraser has always worked for me ... we get those metal marks when working with aluminum foil on the counter tops ... but yeah, I have to keep this "trick" in mind, in case we have a stubborn stain.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Legume
    Options
    We rented a vrbo about four years ago that had a huge center island in the kitchen covered in white quartz.  The owner had posted a list of things that absolutely couldn’t be put down on the counter or we would be charged.  It was ridiculous and kind of stupid for a full time rental, especially as there wasn’t any countertop that wasn’t that white quartz.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Sometimes, (not often) it's good to be poor.  27 year old Formica countertops still look new.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Reminds me of when I put Corian Counters.  They told me all the benefits of it, then I had to actually live with them.  They were not the wonder material they were made out to be.

The Quartz counters are absolutely gorgeous though, my wife really likes them and wants to put them in our house.  She really likes the lighter colors too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Magic Erasers are really just foam sandpaper. 

Melamine foam is what they are. Melamine is that incredibly sharp plastic that is used to line, say, particle board cabinets. Melamine plates or dishware are common too. Ever break one? Basically like snapping formica. Because plastic laminate is layers of paper saturated with melamine plastic. 

Those incredibly sharp edges occur at a microscopic level too, in the Magic Eraser foam. 

That will dull finishes that are glossy. 

Using actual soil is just another form of abrasive, but I’d be afraid of staining, especially if I were using that red clay that’s common in the south. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Love my Stainless Steel Kitchen , built for performance 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    Reminds me of when I put Corian Counters.  They told me all the benefits of it, then I had to actually live with them.  They were not the wonder material they were made out to be.

The Quartz counters are absolutely gorgeous though, my wife really likes them and wants to put them in our house.  She really likes the lighter colors too.
    Leather wrapped countertops are all the rage. It’s a darker look, but it really makes a statement.  I’ve seen them featured in garden and gun magazine.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Leather wrapped countertops are all the rage. It’s a darker look, but it really makes a statement.  I’ve seen them featured in garden and gun magazine.

🤣🤣🤣 Don't even joke about that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    edited October 2021
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Sometimes, (not often) it's good to be poor.  27 year old Formica countertops still look new.
    My one year old Formica countertops still look new too. And best of all I did them myself, custom, from Formica sheets. 

Best part was working with the contact cement inside the house....
  • RyanStl
    Options
    One area my wife worked on was on seam.  She said crap I stained the seam with mud. It came out though.

I'll try toothpaste next, as it would be less messy than the mud.  Come to think about I could also try Novus 2 or 3. 3 is pretty abrasive though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Love my Stainless Steel Kitchen , built for performance 

the type A personalities would hang themselves after trying to fix the first scratch.....ive made counters before for people and they always choose the straight sanded stainless that will never look that way again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    What is the perfect counter material?
  • Legume
    Options
  • Legume
    Options
    Or maybe leather 🤣

I guess it depends on how you use your kitchen. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    What is the perfect counter material?

stainless near the stove, soapstone near the sink(might as well make the sink soapstone as well, farmer style) wood where your prepping with a knife, might as well have a chilled soapstone section for rolling dough. that sounds about right to me
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    they make leather finished soapstone but no idea how that look holds up, probable not, but they look nice when new =)
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    How about glass?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Legume said:
    Soapstone
    Soapstone has way more maintenance in the first year than any other natural stone I sold.  You have to keep it oiled or waxed to achieve a dark patina if you like darker soapstone.  If not then you deal with oil splatters and fingerprints on the untreated top.  Soapstone also scratches  very easily but if it’s on a treated top the scratches 
    are easy to camouflage.  

I would rather have granite out of any natural stone in a kitchen.  Basalt is very durable.I have it on my egg shelves and it holds up great 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2021
    Options
    We have White Quartz in our kitchen too. I will eventually rip the island counter out and replace it with butcher block. Since that is the most heavily used prep space in our kitchen. Butcher block is Functional, affordable, aesthetically pleasing and easy to maintain for someone like me. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options

I'm interested to hear of your issues with Corian?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    stv8r said:

Could not set hot pots or pans on it, it would discolor.  Couldn't cut on it, it would scratch super easy.  Not that I cut directly on my counters, but occasionally I do with my granite.  The Corian sink was white and easily stained.

I loved the look and the feel of it, but the surface was marred relatively easily.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Could not set hot pots or pans on it, it would discolor.  Couldn't cut on it, it would scratch super easy.  Not that I cut directly on my counters, but occasionally I do with my granite.  The Corian sink was white and easily stained.

I loved the look and the feel of it, but the surface was marred relatively easily.
    Hmm, I don't set hot cookware on my Formica, nor cut on it, and it works fine. My "stainless" steel sinks occasionally stain, but a bit of Comet and a green scrub pad and its fine.  
    If I upgrade any part of my home, at this point, it'll be the kitchen, but right now I don't see a good reason to do so.  
    I remember the Corian era, but can't remember its relative cost.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RyanStl
    Options
    For me the perfect is granite, but the wife disagreed this time.  I should have held my ground on this, but her heart was set on this quartz.  I could have saved $13 a sqr. ft. as well.

Soapstone would be interesting, but that fall in the obscure category for me.  That's the stuff that was in the chemistry class right?