Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Armadillo egg question

Options
Doing these for the first time today for friends coming over for football Saturday. My concern is how heavily I should cover the peppers with sausage. I assume there will be quite a bit of shrinkage. Also do y’all use an egg as a binder? Thanks for the help!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Armadillo eggs: I plan for a pound of hot sausage to completely cover 4-6 jalas depending on the size of the pepper.  I get a good layer (never assessed thickness) of the sausage around each pepper but have not seen much shrinkage.  I do not use a binder.

Here's something I do to soften up the pepper before stuffing them: I  cook the cored out jalas at around 350*F for 10 minutes in a toaster oven before loading up.

I then cook them indirect at around 350*F til an internal temperature of 160-170*F.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Armadillo eggs: I plan for a pound of hot sausage to completely cover 4-6 jalas depending on the size of the pepper.  I get a good layer (never assessed thickness) of the sausage around each pepper but have not seen much shrinkage.  I do not use a binder.

Here's something I do to soften up the pepper before stuffing them: I  cook the cored out jalas at around 350*F for 10 minutes in a toaster oven before loading up.

I then cook them indirect at around 350*F til an internal temperature of 160-170*F.  FWIW-

As always…solid advice!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I used pimento cheese and it basically ran onto the plate when I sliced the eggs. Better cheese to use next time?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I use pepper jack or habanero cheese when I can find it mixed with chorizo as the filling.  Never have experienced that.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Have never before heard of these but am now tempted to give them a go. Thanks for sharing. The hard part is remembering to circle back to these great threads when pulling the trigger on a cook. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    curious if freezing the cheese slices before it hits the smoker might help . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap