Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow Pork Steaks?

Options
Last year I tried doing Snows-esque pork steaks. Direct at about 275 for a few hours. They were ok but a little tough.

I’m trying again tomorrow - bought two 2 inch thick slabs of shoulder. Does the hive mind have any tips for me? Time/temp? Indirect/Direct? Mop? Finish in foil?

thanks in advance 

Comments

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I’ve done them many different ways.  Last time I went indirect at 300F until about 170 internal  and then wrapped until probe tender—around 200 on these.  Turned out very well.  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Unlike you I really love THIN pork steak hit with just S&P on both sides and then seared direct at 600 for 2 & 2! Since that time is SO short and SO hot I don’t close my dome during that quick 4 minutes! SO actually the temperature is undoubtedly higher than 600! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TrippleRipple
    Options
    I watched and rewatched the Netflix series featuring Tootsie Tomanetz and Snow's BBQ. I do 2" shoulder steaks (I buy a shoulder and have my butcher cut it) raised direct at 275-300 dome temp. I mop with a mix of ACV, apple cider, DP Dizzy Dust and Worcestershire sauce so I don't wrap them. I take them to 190+ (roughly four hours) then FTC them for an hour or so while I do the sides. They are always fantastic. Hope this is helpful.
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • 7smcb7
    7smcb7 Posts: 26
    Options
    . Hope this is helpful.
    Very helpful! Thanks. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I like them 1/2" thick cooked direct, like a beef steak.  You want the surface nice and browned/crusted over. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    We do one inch steaks cut from large shoulders. the steaks are marinaded in a Gochujang (?) salsa overnight. Cook direct like a steak.

It's good...
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • EzraBrooks
    Options