Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting your BGE on a windy day

I use the Firestarters with a bic lighter and on a windy day . . . very challenging  :s
Somewhere I have a chimney starter and need to look for it, too much stuff still packed from the move  :o
Looking for ideas . . .
Thank You

aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Mapp torch.  so easy and lasts forever

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2021
    I use a couple long squirts of 93% rubbing alcohol! Just be careful when you light it or say eyebrows be damned! ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Are you now using the wind as an excuse not to use your new steel griddle?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2021

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    After all these years you still haven't picked up a weed torch? Go get your butt to Harbor Freight!!! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I love my electric starter. I have an amazon smart plug and an Echo Flex in the garage.  I tell Alexa to "Start the grill" and she turns the plug on, sets a timer for 8 minutes, then turns the smart plug off, and sends me a notification to all of my Echo's and my phones / Apple Watch.  It's a beautiful thing.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Photo Egg said:
    Are you now using the wind as an excuse not to use your new steel griddle?
    LOL . . . nah  just haven't felt like it yet
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    edited September 2021
    Langner91 said:
    I love my electric starter. I have an amazon smart plug and an Echo Flex in the garage.  I tell Alexa to "Start the grill" and she turns the plug on, sets a timer for 8 minutes, then turns the smart plug off, and sends me a notification to all of my Echo's and my phones / Apple Watch.  It's a beautiful thing.
    Well, la-dee-dah!!I  
    :lol:  

Sorry, but your post cracked me up!  I guess I'm officially in the "Curmudgeon" class now... (and I need to learn how to spell it myself)   ;)

I do have a serious comment about Bic lighters, however.  I use Rutland Squares, and formerly Bic lighters, to start my lump (if it was too windy I started the Square inside the porch, then closed the lid and wheeled it outside).  BUT, it seemed my Bic lighters were always running out of fuel; I finally bought three at the same time and kept them at the ready.  
    The first one quit working after three lights.  The second, never lit at all (and yes I know about the flame control wheel thingie).  The third, worked once.  
    I refuse to buy that crap anymore.  I bought a box of wooden matches, for about a dollar, and that box will probably last longer than I do.  They do not do well in windy conditions, but see my above comment on porches/etc.  

Hope this helps.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Paper towels soaked in veg oil.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    RRP said:
    I use a couple long squirts of 93% rubbing alcohol! Just be careful when you light it or say eyebrows be damned! ;)
    I've tried this a few times on the XL, but this method it's bad for the under side of the handle even after finished with 6 coats of minwax helmsman spar urethane spray on finish. I could feel the entire side was affected by the flames from the alcohol lighting method.  :|
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited September 2021
    I use a chimney, two paper towels each with a spoonful of bacon grease under the chimney.

Works great. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Torch+hairdryer
    canuckland
  • loco_engr said:
    RRP said:
    I've tried this a few times on the XL, but this method it's bad for the under side of the handle even after finished with 6 coats of minwax helmsman spar urethane spray on finish. I could feel the entire side was affected by the flames from the alcohol lighting method.  :|
    I started using the Ron's rubbing alcohol approach to light my mini-max based, with one of the long BBQ lighters.  After the initial ignition (fireball), I close the dome to avoid scorching the dome gasket and handle.  Just be careful if you decide to take a peek during the next ~5 minutes, there will be flashback!
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Looftlighter 
    Same here and love it, I've had it maybe 10 years. My best piece of advice with using it especially on a windy day is to make sure you're not wearing a quick-dry shirt as they are more flammable and the sparks can get crazy. I've got 2 shirts with a small hole on my right shoulder where a spark landed and burned it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    oil and paper towel, if its really windy i light it in the house and walk it to the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I use Rutland squares and a small kitchen torch, works great in any weather.  About a 5 second blast with the torch gets the squares going really well and you are on your way.