Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking A Brisket With Wood Only In A Kamado?

Options
I stumbled across this video this morning. I believe he is or was a member here on the forum at one point? I found the video interesting and worth checking out for anyone interested. 

https://youtu.be/aO1lYGAUqFs
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    That dude used to frequent this forum, I don’t remember his handle though. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited September 2021
    Options
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Thanks for the video.  Interesting concept and approach.   Since LBGE is the largest I've got, I'm not buying an XL to try that but props for giving it a go.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I stumbled across this video this morning. I believe he is or was a member here on the forum at one point? I found the video interesting and worth checking out for anyone interested. 

hey thanks, I am still here 😊 
    Sorry if I'd took any limelight away from you posting it over here on the forum. I found the video interesting as I don't ever remember seeing anyone use wood alone successfully and on top of it a brisket cook! Thanks for the video. Nicely done!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

Sorry if I'd took any limelight away from you posting it over here on the forum. I found the video interesting as I don't ever remember seeing anyone use wood alone successfully and on top of it a brisket cook! Thanks for the video. Nicely done!
    Thanks, no worries at all.  I try not to spam the forum with redirects to a video every week as thats not fun for anyone so I wasn't going to but glad you did.

Would love to see this done in an egg, with the eggs pander it should work or CGS half moons 
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    This is pretty interesting.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    A bag of Oak chunks is the same cost as a bag of Rockwood? Ouch. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    A bag of Oak chunks is the same cost as a bag of Rockwood? Ouch. 
    Yep. $29 for wood that lasted just the cook 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oak grows everywhere, shouldn't be too hard to find locally for free if you keep your eyes open for it.
    This is pretty interesting.
    thanks 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Oak grows everywhere, shouldn't be too hard to find locally for free if you keep your eyes open for it.
    Sure does and around here we all lose big old oak trees every few years. The tree companies don't even have a side gig anymore splitting them themselves to sell back to us with fireplaces. Nor even dropping them off to guys who do that strictly for a living! They get shredded in those massive shredders or rolled down into ravines to help block erosion before rotting to pieces! 

Now with hickory trees that's another matter! I have more chunks and pieces of hickory than I'll probably use in my lifetime! Also got some cherry and peach. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have considered doing this in the 2XL as it has so much room to do an offset type of cook.  I wonder if just cooking it straight over the splits direct, in a the highest raised configuration possible would give it more smoke flavor.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have considered doing this in the 2XL as it has so much room to do an offset type of cook.  I wonder if just cooking it straight over the splits direct, in a the highest raised configuration possible would give it more smoke flavor.

Just spitballin' here, but I don't think where the food is relative to the fire or if it's direct or indirect is going to change the amount of smoke flavor unless you somehow put the food upstream (below) the fire.  That would be a function of the smoke efficacy and time.

I've tried burning wood in my egg and it destroyed my food. Trick is to get it all burning and ashed over and keep it small and hot.  I didn't watch the video here but I imagine that was the same conclusion.

Whoa.  Is this really you?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just buy an offset if you want the offset cook and experience.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cookingdude555
    Options

Just spitballin' here, but I don't think where the food is relative to the fire or if it's direct or indirect is going to change the amount of smoke flavor unless you somehow put the food upstream (below) the fire.  That would be a function of the smoke efficacy and time.

I've tried burning wood in my egg and it destroyed my food. Trick is to get it all burning and ashed over and keep it small and hot.  I didn't watch the video here but I imagine that was the same conclusion.
    Good thoughts. In the video, it was lacking smoke for his tastes. He had double indirect over a small and hot fire. My suggestion focuses on removing the indirect barrier, but going higher. Similar to a PBC I guess. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Whoa.  Is this really you?

Yep. The one and the same 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Good thoughts. In the video, it was lacking smoke for his tastes. He had double indirect over a small and hot fire. My suggestion focuses on removing the indirect barrier, but going higher. Similar to a PBC I guess. 
    That might work. I might be tempted to do the fire in the draft door on the bottom to gain even more vertical clearance if going direct 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited September 2021
    Options

That might work. I might be tempted to do the fire in the draft door on the bottom to gain even more vertical clearance if going direct 
    Yep, or just get a pro joe.  Not sure, but I think the 2XL/XXL might be tall enough to pull it off too.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Just buy an offset and plumb the smoke stack directly into the lower vent of your Big Green Egg. Should get great smoke flavor that way and you can burn full-size splits. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive done brisket flats direct in a large using fire place splits and some lump to get it burning well. 350 dome temp on a raised grid direct. foil when the brisket hits about 175 and add 2 tbls soda water, about 3 hours for a 7 pounder. continue cooking til into the 200's and probes well. more like a wood fired steak in flavor, takes about 5 hours. definitely not a low and slow brisket but up here not many know what that is anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it