Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck eggs, anyone else

The farmer I get my eggs from gave me a couple to try and said he'd have them from now on $3 00 a dozen.
These things are largest eggs I've ever had. Guess which one is the duck egg.

The first one was fried in bacon grease. Yolks are huge if you like to dip.

And the second was steamed over hash 

These are very large and rich, I don't think I could two for breakfast. Huge they are.

Who's tried them?
Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I had ducks (and thus eggs) as a kid growing up.  My mother loved to bake with them. I liked them hard-boiled, fried, or scrambled.

It has been a long time.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • They have a slightly different taste than chicken eggs, but quite good.  My sister can’t have chicken eggs so around the holidays and when we get together, we get duck eggs.  (I gotta be careful.  My fat thumb typed an ”i” in there.). 
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Duck eggs are pretty tasty. Wish I had a ready source for them... duck egg curry is delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MasterC said:
    The farmer I get my eggs from gave me a couple to try and said he'd have them from now on $3 00 a dozen.
    That's a great find!   Can't touch duck eggs around my parts for even three times that amount. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Interesting thread! Years ago @fishlessman extolled the tasty virtues of tiny quail eggs, which he could buy up there. I looked for years and could never find any source locally. Now this challenge is on the other side of size being large duck eggs…and my gut tells me I won’t find a source for them either…but here’s to yet another shopping challenge!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • We have two pekin duck hens, they tend to lay wherever suits them so it can be a battle to find the eggs before my boxer does. They seem to cook quicker than chicken eggs and don’t have as much flavor in my opinion but we do use them more for baking. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    We used to have ducks. I had a weird reaction to the eggs.  I was allergic to them. I would start sweating,  blurred vision,  head felt really weird.   I laid my head down on my desk and woke up 30 minutes later.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    We have two pekin duck hens, they tend to lay wherever suits them so it can be a battle to find the eggs before my boxer does. They seem to cook quicker than chicken eggs and don’t have as much flavor in my opinion but we do use them more for baking. 
    Do you have to modify the recipes?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    Interesting thread! Years ago @fishlessman extolled the tasty virtues of tiny quail eggs, which he could buy up there. I looked for years and could never find any source locally. Now this challenge is on the other side of size being large duck eggs…and my gut tells me I won’t find a source for them either…but here’s to yet another shopping challenge!
    @RRP, do you have an Asian market? I haven't been to mine in years, but I recall them having quail eggs. Only place I've ever seen them. Right next to the chicken feet. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hmmm, a couple of them - I'll try those - THANKS Michael!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking said:
    We have two pekin duck hens, they tend to lay wherever suits them so it can be a battle to find the eggs before my boxer does. They seem to cook quicker than chicken eggs and don’t have as much flavor in my opinion but we do use them more for baking. 
    Do you have to modify the recipes?
    We never have.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i can get quail eggs most of the year at the store, duck eggs summer only and its from neighbors or friends of neighbors giving them away.  carolinaq probably hit the nail on the head,  one of my sources is a northern china girl that raises peking ducks on her home farm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

• South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @Langner91 you would be doing us both a favor..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I love duck and would love to try them... have not seen them around here in FL.
    However, my Publix carries quail eggs.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    I liked them,, I'll pick up a dozen next week. Will need to ask how long to hard boiL
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91
    My sister brought me 9 fresh duck eggs today.  Now to decide what to do with them.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91 said:
    My sister brought me 9 fresh duck eggs today.  Now to decide what to do with them.
    Why don’t you start your morning off with some hash with a nice fried egg on top?  Dang it!  Now I want that!  Unfortunately I don’t have the time.  I’m getting ready to go to church this morning.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    We had them when I was a kid (we had ducks and chickens). Pretty huge eggs with a different taste. Almost meaty as I recall.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 said:
    Why don’t you start your morning off with some hash with a nice fried egg on top?  Dang it!  Now I want that!  Unfortunately I don’t have the time.  I’m getting ready to go to church this morning.
    Yes!  That will be "Breakfast for supper" this week!  Great call!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I think I've posted this before,  but I have a pretty severe reaction to duck eggs.  We used to have lots of ducks. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI