Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When in Rome do what the Chargrillers Do

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
edited September 2021 in EggHead Forum
Just moved to AZ and we are renting a house until our home is available.
The BGE is in storage until the final move.
The Chargriller was on the patio so I rushed out to ACE to get some supplies to try it out.
Set up a 2 zone with post oak chips.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Adapt and Conquer!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Semper Gumby- Always Flexible.  Way to enjoy the here and now!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    interesting…I mean that grate looked like it had never even been used before. Cool that the landlord left a brand new grill for you to use! Anything buried in the rental agreement about clean up?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dstearn
    Options
    RRP said:
    interesting…I mean that grate looked like it had never even been used before. Cool that the landlord left a brand new grill for you to use! Anything buried in the rental agreement about clean up?
    The gas grill was used and a little rusted. The charcoal grill was not used at all. 
    There is also a Smokey Joe on the patio that has been used. I think the previous tenant was not a BBQ fan. I have run the gas grill a few times and oiled the grates. It s nice having the flexibility of using gas for charcoal depending on the cook.

I could buy a smoker attachment to convert it into an offset but since we are only going to be here a few months I will just set up a 2 zone.

I am buying a steel can to clean out the ashes. Once they have cooled down they can be safely disposed in the trash. To clean the Char-Griller you just remove the grates and lift the ash catcher to dispose.

Nothing in the rental agreement. The property manager did not even know there was a grill on the patio. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dstearn said:
    The wings were surprisingly good. Seasoned with Montreal Chicken Seasoning. I was able to lock in at 400-425 and the skin was crisp. Nandos Peri Peri Garlic sauce on the side. 
    Does this mean you will no longer be going back to the Egg?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    The gas grill was used and a little rusted. The charcoal grill was not used at all. 
    There is also a Smokey Joe on the patio that has been used. I think the previous tenant was not a BBQ fan. I have run the gas grill a few times and oiled the grates. It s nice having the flexibility of using gas for charcoal depending on the cook.

I could buy a smoker attachment to convert it into an offset but since we are only going to be here a few months I will just set up a 2 zone.

I am buying a steel can to clean out the ashes. Once they have cooled down they can be safely disposed in the trash. To clean the Char-Griller you just remove the grates and lift the ash catcher to dispose.

Nothing in the rental agreement. The property manager did not even know there was a grill on the patio. 
    I had never heard of that product. While I will never buy one, I can understand why the dual capability would appeal to some people! Outdoor space restrictions probably are at the top of the reasons.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:
    The wings were surprisingly good. Seasoned with Montreal Chicken Seasoning. I was able to lock in at 400-425 and the skin was crisp. Nandos Peri Peri Garlic sauce on the side. 
    Does this mean you will no longer be going back to the Egg?
    The XL is in storage awaiting its move to our backyard patio. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I used a Chargriller for many years before upgrading to different types of grills and smokers.  You can't do everything you you can on the Egg, but really it's about the cook, not the vessel used to cook in.  You can make wonderful chicken wings and many other foods on the cheapest grill there is.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I used a cheap chargriller with an offset smoke box for about a year.  Your first results were better than any of my results.  That was my first step into the world of smoke and fire.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS