Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Best way to clean pizza stone

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited September 2021 in EggHead Forum
Linda used it in oven to cook cauliflower thin crust pizza.  Now it needs cleaning. Not sure best way to proceed. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    it will burn clean in the egg, put it dirty side down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    it will burn clean in the egg, put it dirty side down
    So it’s true. One gets dumber with advanced age. 
    Thanks buddy
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @Mickey - this is indeed a situation for a turbo rib cook. Dirty side down during warm up.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Is it a pampered chef stone?  I learned early on to never put your better-half's pampered chef stones in the egg.  You will be buying her a new stone!

Honestly, if you soak that in hot water, a metal spatula will take that little bit right off.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    edited September 2021
    Langner91 said:
    Is it a pampered chef stone?  I learned early on to never put your better-half's pampered chef stones in the egg.  You will be buying her a new stone!

Honestly, if you soak that in hot water, a metal spatula will take that little bit right off.
    Thank you. Nope. It’s from Tom

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Back before I learned to use a wooden peel/cornmeal, I tried to "snap" a pizza onto my stone; the dough stuck but most of the sauce, pepperoni and all of the round mozzerella balls (which i never used again) transferred to the stone. I closed up the Egg and went out for tacos.  :cry:
    That burned-on mess I got off only with my random-orbit sander, couldn't get it off any other way.  I didn't think of a clean burn.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I never clean mine.

I never turn it over to clean.

Scrape it and cook on it again. 

Not worth the time or effort or fuel. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • I ruined mine with my first pizzas on my Blackstone oven.  I emailed Blackstone and asked how to clean it.  They replied to turn it over.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    you likely won't get rid of the splotchy marks on it, but they won't affect cooking your next pizza.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If you get it clean it won’t match your Egg!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    One word solution…

steel
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Surface mill with a diamond bit or sodium hydroxide
    edited September 2021
    On our pizza decks, we dont recommend using water, it can cause cracking when heat cranks back up. Just scrape it off. Our material in commercial ovens may be different
  • Put it on the ground and let the dogs have a crack at it.