Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bratwurst what's the best way?

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    slice a hot dog with natural casing, never saw anyone slice a real sausage before grilling
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Dang those all look great! I’ve had little success cooking them raw, usually resulting in them bursting and splitting, so I typically do the beer boil first. Perhaps I need to try going even lower and slower next time I skip the boil, while also paying closer attention. 

I’m originally from Texas, where brats are generally a minority in the overwhelmingly impressive sausage selection. Even though I favor an all beef link or jalapeños cheese sausage, brats still have their place on my plate! Need to try that brown kraut soon. 

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    Dang those all look great! I’ve had little success cooking them raw, usually resulting in them bursting and splitting, so I typically do the beer boil first. Perhaps I need to try going even lower and slower next time I skip the boil, while also paying closer attention. 

I’m originally from Texas, where brats are generally a minority in the overwhelmingly impressive sausage selection. Even though I favor an all beef link or jalapeños cheese sausage, brats still have their place on my plate! Need to try that brown kraut soon. 

cook em gently, you will get the snap you want, I go by feel VS temp, when they are firm, you will know 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • AprèsSki
    Options
    Sous vide at 155 for at least 45 minutes and then brown on the grill as needed.

I've done them low and slow, I'be browned them and then let them simmer in beer, kraut and onions and I've simmered and then browned before serving and the sous vide tastes as good as the simmered and then browned and is much easier.

Best part is you can sous vide extras and finish on the gasser for a quick lunch.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    slice a hot dog with natural casing, never saw anyone slice a real sausage before grilling
    Got it.  I was watching a cooking show about Asian street food and often saw them slicing sausage and the end product looked great.  Last time I did brats I tried slicing and it didn't do anything other than loose juices.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Got it.  I was watching a cooking show about Asian street food and often saw them slicing sausage and the end product looked great.  Last time I did brats I tried slicing and it didn't do anything other than loose juices.

were they precooked, its common to slice precooked sausage like a store bought hillshire farm kielbasa. they cook faster and the skin gets a little crunchy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Best one I ever had we seared in a pan and then pressure cooked in insta pot with a Summit oatmeal Stout.  Brats were a whiskey peppercorn from local butcher.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Saw Malcom, on how to bbq right, spiral up some red-hots for grlling. Same thing I like to do when cooking ring baloney 

SorryI, don't know how to post a link.
    You don't know how lucky you all are.
    Fort Wayne Indiana