Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Branding Irons

Options
loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,765
edited September 2021 in EggHead Forum
I'm intrigued by the concept of having my Kansas State Wildcat cat logo on a steaks/burgers, but don't have a good idea if this is possible to be done and how.  All thoughts are appreciated!
Thank You

PS:  found this one here, 

https://topnotchgiftshop.com/products/kansas-state-steak-branding-irons?cmp_id=813937887&adg_id=42910618955&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIidOMmYH48gIV1QiICR01DAGWEAQYASABEgLgv_D_BwE

aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks like you solved your own mystery.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know you asking specifically about a meat branding iron...but that reminds me of an old joke about some yuppy getting a quote from a Texan blacksmith for the yuppie's VERY elaborate branding iron for his 3 head of cattle..

The old blacksmith asked..."son, you want to just brand your cattle, or BBQ them with this design"?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I have one for my steaks.   Don’t use it that often anymore but it is still cool to have.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks like you solved your own mystery.
    Ahhh no!  That what I'm looking at.
    My quandary is I keep thinking how would one brand a logo in meat?  
    Brand it while is raw?  What would happen to the logo when grilled?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Williams Sonoma sells them. According to the Use and Care section of their product...
    • Place the brand on hot coals, a gas range or an electric burner. Just before serving your food, hold the heated brand with a protective pad and brand the meat with a gentle top-to-bottom and side-to-side motion.
    I usually sear steaks on a cast iron griddle or Blackstone which results in a wall to wall sear. Not sure if the branding iron would overcome that sear. But if you just cook it on the grid, it would probably work. 

Or, you could just ask the guy who's making it for you. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Yellowstone fans know Rip’s the man on a branding job.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any metal shop with a CNC cutter should be able to cut out a brand from some 1/4-1/2" steel.  Weld a handle on it and you got a working brand.

The more crusty the steak the less contrast the brand will have.  You can also brand any wood, like cutting boards, lawn furniture, etc.
    Options
    I have one got for a bday gift.  Love it.  However I can not get it hot enuff for the brand to show up.  Makes me want to try again.  Thanks.
    Columbus, Ohio