Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

metal stand or stone or firebrick or ??? for table w/ large bge

Options
I am thinking of getting or building a table for my large BGE.

What is the current opinions on what to put under the egg?

I have three (original) feet, but was considering a metal spacer, on top of tile.

or ?

I do occasional pizza cooks at high heat, but usually do lower temp cooks.

I've read http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pony up and buy a table nest. It raises the egg a bit higher than the original feet. I’m not a proponent of any stone under the table nest. Air flow is far more important. All a stone does is provide something to store the heat energy from the egg and obscure your ability to see any potential issues under the egg. I suppose an argument could be made for stopping a freak spark incident but I would suggest using a material other than wood if that’s a concern. Enjoy. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    The above is correct.  I would have said the same thing.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thanks. When I wrote metal spacer I meant table nest. Wasn't sure the correct name. 

Are the table nests pretty much the same? Or is one brand better? 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Big green egg brand is all I have ever used.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Westons_Annex
    Options
    here is my table. I use the nest on wheels to get the small to be at the proper height, and I use the square garden pavers for the large. 
      The table is 8 feet, perfect for the two Eggs. Had a buddy with a plasma cutter make the holes. Took him 6 minutes. It’s been outside now for at least 8 years, probably longer, no problems with rust. Semi covered tho.
  • Westons_Annex
    Options
    As I look at this photo, I notice a ton of fire hazards, all in proximity of the house. Not always a slob like this picture proclaims.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    why are the eggs sitting sideways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Westons_Annex
    Options
    They had to, first time I put them in like ‘normal’, the lid bounced off the house..

Better question, why didn’t I rotate the lids, so the thermometers are in front… 😀
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    They had to, first time I put them in like ‘normal’, the lid bounced off the house..

Better question, why didn’t I rotate the lids, so the thermometers are in front… 😀
    figured there had to be a reason, one of my larges has the dome temp facing the window of the house for cold weather egging and its easier to see from the side patio

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Westons_Annex
    Options
    Second house I’ve been in now, with the eggs right next to it. One of these days, gonna build something a little farther out and away.

Good idea tho, having it face the direction where you hang out.

I learned something else here. Someone recommended, is whatever temperature it is you want to keep it at, rotate the gauge so that target degree is straight up. Easy to see, from afar, or if your vision is semi-kaddywompus from indulging in too many adult beverages 😜
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    my first table, has metal studs under the stone-never sold it
  • WVsmokin
    Options
    Get the table nest.  I have a XL and it doesn't raise it that far,  Just enough to let air around the bottom.  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Air gap is most important but adding some fire brick doesn't hurt.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.