Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chiles Rellenos

Options
dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,268
edited September 2021 in EggHead Forum
My second go at a very fancy Chiles Rellenos recipe by chef Joseph Wrede.

I like trying difficult dishes because doing so forces me to learn more kitchen techniques. For this one, it was seperating, beating, and generally working with eggs.

Here are my rellenos, and final plate (I served my wife). Green rice, red sauce, egg, chiles stuffed with cotija and oaxaca mixed with cilantro. Someone in one of the comments said cilantro is not authentic NM cuisine but I don't know one way or the other.

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hmmm.
    I've only tried making Rellenos once (won't do it again) and the big challenge was inserting cheese into a soft, roasted chile, rolling it in flour, then into batter, and frying it without it disintegrating along any step of the way.  I love them, but I'll spend the money and leave the cooking of them to the pros (as I do with sushi and jambalaya).  
    EDIT:  and I am embarrassed, after five years of living/dining in Albuquerque, that I can't remember if they used cilantro, or not.  The brain cells are the third to go...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Looks great! 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I have never seen a Chiles Rellenos with egg like that before but am always open to new things. The best ones I've had had a rice/ground beef mixture inside the chili and a cheese blanket with the sauce. I'd definitely give these a try though!
  • Plutonium
    Options
    I’ve been in NM for nearly 10 years now and chile replenish are probably my favorite NM dish. I’ve only tried making them a few times myself. Those look pretty good. Your red chile looks great too. 

The egg batter is really tricky and there’s a few variations. I generally break them into two categories. One results in a thin and crispy coating and the other results in sort of a batter pancake, both are great. 

I’m in Albuquerque and didn’t really ever notice the absence of cilantro, but I think you’re right. Saw this on Wikipedia on the NM cuisine page too, referring to cilantro. 

not common in traditional New Mexican cuisine, but one of the defining tastes of Santa Fe style.

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    @Plutonium, given your address and handle, do you work for Sandia Labs, or the Air Force Weapons Laboratory?  I worked closely with both from '87 to '92, I was assigned to the Directorate of Nuclear Surety but I think they've been reorg'd/renamed now.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Plutonium
    Options
    @Botch, correct I do work at SNL.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.