Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn pudding or souffle don't matter it's good

Did an epic cook and finished with baking the corn pudding in the XL. Feel I have a bit of redemption from a missed temp on pulled pork. (Still good,  but missed the mark) 

Not sweet, not Savory...  

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Corn, in any form, is a big hit on this side.

Caliprince loves corn casserole, but pretty sure he'd like this, too. Do you have a recipe?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Looks tasty!  What recipe did you use?
  • This was my first attempt at the corn pudding based on the Beaumont Inn recipe and another I found, sorry for the lack of citation to the other cook,  with a few addendums of my own...

I'll post as I originally made the recipe with my notes after having tasted the results in parentheses. 

Corn Pudding Souffle 
    1 cup all-purpose flour  (1/2c try)
    2/3 cup cornmeal (1/3c try)
    1 tablespoon Maple sugar (3TBSP try)
    2 TBSP heaping dehydrated butter powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 TBSP baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3 cups fresh corn
    1 can creamed corn
    2 cups whole milk
    [3 TBSP butter-substitute for dehydrated]
    4 eggs, beaten (6 Eggs)
    1/2 cup (4oz) marscapone cheese (next time full container 8oz (ricotta?))
    1/2 cup heavy cream (up to 3/4cup)
    1 tsp Vanilla (up to 2 TBSP)

Egg to 350°F holding. Grease tin generously with butter,  additional to recipe ingredients. 

Dry – combine flour, cornmeal, maple sugar, dehydrated butter,  salt, baking powder, and baking soda  into a large bowl and mix well.

Wet –milk, eggs whisk until frothy. (Drizzle in melted butter is using (melted butter, let cool before adding to not cook egg)) continue to whisk in marscapone cheese. Fold in cream corn and whole fresh corn. 

Heavy Cream -  pour over the mix once in the tin- don't stir

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the tin, then pour the cream right into the batter in an oval shape without stirring to mix. 

Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, indirect. Turn at halfway through cook (probably not needed) will finish with a clean tooth pick test. [My grill temp was between 350 to 365 for the cook]

[The texture in my original bake was really nice.   The addition of eggs and decrease in dry is to try and obtain an even more custard like consistency without being wet or runny. Just enough dry to hold form when served. Probably need to adjust ingredients a few more times to hit the mark. Maple sugar is very mild and can be done more by taste,  but definitely more than I originally used.  The vanilla extract is another,  by taste and does need a bit more.  The marscapone added a nice layer of creaminess to the mixture. The heavy cream in the areas where poured gave a unique richness as well as a contrast in color.  Hope everyone enjoys]
  • caliking
    Thanks for the recipe. I'm digging the addition of mascarpone. 

What size pan did you use?

• 2BAMBAM4
    2BAMBAM4 Posts: 64
    edited September 2021
    caliking said:

It's a half steam tray pan.   Roughly 9"x11"

I feel the marscapone adds a creaminess and no tangy component like the sour cream in many recipes.   Thanks I hope you enjoy.   Let me know your thoughts.   I'm also thinking a little bourbon or rum to complimentthe corn sweetness.  Something to make this desert like.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Wow looks like the Cadillac of corn cake recipes!!  I will try it sometime when I have the time. I usually cheat and use the Jiffy cornbread with creamed corn recipe lol
  • caliking
    2BAMBAM4 said:
    caliking said:

It's a half steam tray pan.   Roughly 9"x11"

I feel the marscapone adds a creaminess and no tangy component like the sour cream in many recipes.   Thanks I hope you enjoy.   Let me know your thoughts.   I'm also thinking a little bourbon or rum to compliment the corn sweetness.  Something to make this desert like.
    I like the way you think.

• Jek
    Jek Posts: 37
    We've done Joanna Gaines' Creamed Corn Spoonbread.  It's a hit.
    Small BGE // Wisconsin