Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight

Options
Feeling all giddy with the first overnight in my xl...  doing two 7 pound boneless butts for some pulled pork for the weekend festivities.  

Rubbed down with my near famous dry rub.. (ok to my friends and family) I've been using it now for a couple years on the pellet.. so I know the Egg will rock these flavors! 

Dome temp running about 285° and the grill about 220°.  I've always had the best luck going on the grill cold for a deep smoke ring.  Water pan in the back for extra moisture.   Lid has gone down for a long slow overnight. 

Tomorrow,  I'll Amp up the heat and cook a corn pudding in the egg for the side...

Good night

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan, have fun and enjoy the ride!
    Couldn't help myself as I had to check this morning.   I know about looking, but this is the first overnight after all and my temp had kept up over night. 

Set my Thermoworks for a low (200°) and high (250°) grill temp and went to bed with a consistent 221° around midnight.   At 730a the grill temp had risen to 240.1°, couple adjustments and getting it to lower back into my desired 220° range.  The probes were reading 178° and 169°.  I don't use a crutch so these will keep going for the duration. 

Estimating a couple more hours, want to hit that 200-03 mark, before going into the cooler for a nice rest.

• Plutonium
    Options
    Now that’s a recipe for some bark! Looking good already 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    Finally... over 18 hours from the start.... completion..  yet,  feeling a little down.   Not only my first long cook,  but also a maiden voyage for my Thermoworks Smoke4 and the Smoke4 let me down.   (See my Thermoworks thread)  the probes were reading about 20 degrees shy and when I wiggled them.... BOOM off the charts...

Anyway,  the butt was literally melting in the grill. Still had a great flavor and taste,  everything even though went way too long. 
    Fell apart when I tried to lift..

• JonWesson
    Options
    looks over done and dryed out.     all the goodness went in drippan.    hard to do to butt.      better to get smarter on manuel vent controlijg and how to use probes before using blowing machine
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    JonWesson said:
    looks over done and dryed out.     all the goodness went in drippan.    hard to do to butt.      better to get smarter on manuel vent controlijg and how to use probes before using blowing machine
    Never used a blower, only grate and meat probes.... and I do know manual vent control, but your tips are inspiring and I'll keep them in mind. 

That's the problem with relying on technology to cook... high-end probes and they don't read until you move them in the meat?   Yeah,  sorry...

I'll take the punch on this and go back to temp and time management. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Here is where an instant read thermo doubling as a toothpick can save the day.  Use it to assess the feel (the low&slow finish line indicator) and while there take a look at the temperature.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 2BAMBAM4
    2BAMBAM4 Posts: 64
    edited September 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here is where an instant read thermo doubling as a toothpick can save the day.  Use it to assess the feel (the low&slow finish line indicator) and while there take a look at the temperature.  FWIW-
    @lousubcap, so very true..... sad thing is I do have a cheap thermo pen... just wasn't thinking that way...

I did just shred it all in the pan and surprised by how moist the meat remained... and tasty... guess that's all that matters...

Next time...
  • wps456
    Options
    The beauty of a pork butt, it can mess up and still be good. Be glad it wasn’t a $100 brisket!
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    wps456 said:
    The beauty of a pork butt, it can mess up and still be good. Be glad it wasn’t a $100 brisket!
    No kidding!   And that's why I'm getting the kinks worked out with the butts!

Cheers! 
  • Matthew1231
    Options
    I have the thermoworks smoke as well. 
    I have noticed a similar issue, like your other thread, the guys on there had good points.
    I am always leery of trusting technology to do an artistic job. (smoking good meat)
    what I do is set my target temp to 190, then from there check my probes and instant read/feel. You dont buy a BGE/Charcoal grill smoker to plug it in, have it do all the work and tell you when its done. We enjoy the process, sometimes more than the eating... 
    works every time!
    got to love them pork shoulders! Good eating

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @Matthew1231 - Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    "We enjoy the process, sometimes more than the eating... "  I 100% agree.  The fun is the challenge of delivering the goods at a high level.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 2BAMBAM4
    Options
    Have to agree with your comment..  the criticism I  heap upon myself as I know what I did and didn't do...  

The family and friends are licking their fingers and singing the praise between shoveling down the bites...  

Next time....  there's always a next time.. .
  • keener75
    Options
    100% agree with"We enjoy the process, sometimes more than the eating... ".
    I find this to be the case the majority of the time. Family and friends like it though so I carry on.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    If it was easy and everyone got it right the first time what fun would that be.  Looks good, next time it will be even better.