Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fan or No Fan

Options
Good day everyone! Just bought an XL Egg and was curious, should I buy a fan system like the BBQ Guru or not? 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Recent commentary related to your question here:
    Best temperature control unit  
    And some additional comments:
    Be warned, this place can suck all your discretionary $$ in short order.
    IMO the first things you should consider is a quick read thermo along with a setup to cook indirect. There are several threads that talk about what to initially buy when jumping into BGE cooking.  Give the search function a look.  Any questions or concerns post here.  You will get quality feed-back.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    It's obvious where I stand
    Boom
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    learning to manage live fire is a good thing.  Although not needed, fan systems can make things more convenient.  Learn to cook manually and spend some time to investigate which temp control system would be best for you.  There are several good systems available.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• OhioEgger
    Options
    I very much agree that you should put off that purchase decision for a while and get a dozen or so long cooks under your belt first. Learning the ins and outs of vent management and Egg characteristics isn't hard at all; it just takes practice.

Then after you really understand your Egg you can go the convenience route. I used a FlameBoss 200 for years and was very happy with it. I switched within the past year to a Smobot and I'm even happier with that. But you'll find plenty of testimonials to every make and model (just like with whatever car you're thinking of buying).
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    It has been my experience that control systems are not needed. I’ve never had the need for one, so I’ve also never had the want for one. That being said, there are a ton of people that have them and love them. As stated above figure out how to use the grill without first and then decide if you want to go that route. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’ve always been a rare user of fans, but a proponent for overnight cooks just to ease your mind etc… 
     I’ve recently been using the egg genius by flameboss quite a bit on an XL. I think I’m gonna be a convert. Obviously not a necessity by any stretch, but the new controllers are so easy and very effective at what they are intended to do, it’s hard to overlook. I use it at work when I’m often distracted or busy and I can keep an eye on things through the IPhone. So, the moral is it depends on your lifestyle and how busy or distracted you might be during cooks. Either way, enjoy. 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I went almost 10 years without one. Now that I have one I really like the convenience. For daytime cooks while I'm working from home it removes the need to check on it, or dial it in. 

In the end, decide on what is important to you as they all have trade offs. 

I spent a while researching lots of options. I went back and forth on if I wanted wifi integration  or not so I could track temps on my phone or if a remote was good enough. I decided I didn't want to be tied to my phone so I went with one with a dedicated remote. 

For me, I chose the Thermoworks Smoke X4 with a billows.  If you get a billows, get the "kamodo" adapter plate. 

I've been told the billows fan is way too much fan for an egg, and it probably is, but the controller cycles the fan just fine maintaining excellent temps.

The remote is only "display" and "alarms"' there's not ability to control the settings on the base.  

I also use the smoke X4 on my pellet grill and I like that I can have two grill temp probes and two meat probes so I an watch the warm side and the cool sides of the grill.

good luck.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'm glad I bought mine and would do so again, but I'm also glad I waited until after doing a couple of overnights and all my other cooking the old-fashioned way.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    No fan here and I've got pretty good at running the XL without one. I'm periodically tempted by a Smobot so as to be able to leave the Egg unattended all day, but have never got round to buying one.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Love having a controller for any cook over a couple of hours.  They’re fun to use and you can monitor the cook remotely.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2021
    Options
    An older style Guru came with my XL and I was super happy to get it because it wasn't even advertised as being included in the FB ad.  I have used it a lot, but not as much since I started embracing cooking in the the 300 degree range with no change in quality.  The Guru helps keep the coal from burning out when trying to cook 250 or less because it forces air in when needed.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m on my first cook with ThermoWorks Signals system.  I’ve worked on my tractor and cut the grass while my pork butts are cooking at a turbo 300 degrees F.  I’m pretty pleased.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    I have used several different units on my eggs. Currently using the Flame Boss 500 and especially like the WiFi connectivity and the ability to store notes in a history file for previous cooks.  Very useful for keeping up with cook times and details of previous cooks.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I had a stoker a few years back and it tore up, I sent it back to Rocks BBQ and never got it back. I eventually used the probes and fan with a PID controller to control the egg for low and slows. I've used it about 4 times in 2 years, it works good and holds the temp within 5 degrees.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I use my egg more because I have a smobot. I pop outside, light it, throw the smobot on and walk out the door. comeback throw on the protein and walk out the door, monitor while working, adjust temp via the app to ensure a timely finish through out the day and dinner is ready. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.