Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The tallow wrapped thing

Options
Just wondering about the whole tallow wrapping that is the new craze.  I made some smoked tallow last night and was thinking of doing an injection or a just putting some tallow on the butcher paper and wrapping after the stall. I know the injection would make it moist, but it seems like videos show just putting some tallow on the paper makes it moist internally as well. I really don't want to overdo it with fat, so if tallow on the wrap makes a big difference I' might just do that. I guess my question is, does the tallow on the butcher paper somehow penetrate deep into the meat and make it moist, or does the tallow just make the bark more flavorful and juicy with rendered fat?

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Tallow has become a topic of interest for some. I personally would not inject it, however, I don't see any problem with applying it to the brisket surface or butcher paper. As far as the surface applied tallow penetrating the brisket, I don't believe it will. It will however keep the surface moist and prevent it from drying out.
    The use of tallow has been a controversial subject for some. If I had tallow, I would give it a try.
    With this being said, I'm in central Alabama- far removed from brisket country.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    My thought is that if someone's brisket is getting so dried out that they feel they need to add extra fat to it then they are either trimming too much or cooking to long. Work on proper technique and prep and you won't have issues. I never wrap briskets and haven't had a dried out brisket in years. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My thought is that if someone's brisket is getting so dried out that they feel they need to add extra fat to it then they are either trimming too much or cooking to long. Work on proper technique and prep and you won't have issues. I never wrap briskets and haven't had a dried out brisket in years. 
    I could see how it could help with select/choice briskets depending on the situation. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I would think the tallow would make your paper “vapor-proof”, it wouldn’t penetrate the meat but it would prevent it from drying out further.  And, like foil, it might soften your bark.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I could see how it could help with select/choice briskets depending on the situation. 
    Maybe but I use choice briskets 85% of the time and still don't have the issue.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• BuddyC
    Options
    Out of the 15-20 times I have smoked a brisket, I can't claim that I have never had a brisket turn out a bit dryish in the flat. Most times it ranges from good to very good, but I wanted to do something to guarantee moist this time. Everything is worth trying once. In these videos I watch, the people make it seem like the tallow wrap actually made the internal meat juicier, not just kept it from drying out further but maybe the theory of "vapor-proofing" has some validity. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Give it a try and report the results.  I would not inject extra fat into a piece of meat.  I can see a tallow wrap possibly making a difference in an offset cooker where a tremendous amount of dry air is rolling over the meat, but an Egg is quite another matter.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis