Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Shots

Options

Comments

• Bwill
    Bwill Posts: 102
    Options
    Any suggestions for the cream cheese/cheese mix?  Is there a ratio you shoot for?  Also how do you soften the cream cheese?  Room temperature?
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    I like to mix in some goat cheese and green chilis into the filling.
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Options
    Grocery list is made.   Will be trying these this week for Christmas.   Can't wait and thanks for all the advice & ideas.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    No ratio, room temp cream cheese and I just add another grated cheese.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • squezz
    squezz Posts: 56
    Options
    What would be the best way to reheat these if I wanted to make them a day ahead of time to take them to an event?
  • toogoodootgr
    Options
    On the list for this weekend. I just emailed the link to the wife and she sounds as excited as I am. Just got back down bellow 200#, guess I will just have to pack on some winter weight.
    Irmo, SC
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Thanks!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
       dweebs0r said:
    I love this!  Gonna make these asap for when we are tired of ABT''s.

I'm glad there are some new posts on this, as I have never got around to making these yet (shame on me). An earlier comment made me laugh ... (above), been making ABTs for years now, not for a second have I got tired of them...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Squeezy said:
       dweebs0r said:
    I love this!  Gonna make these asap for when we are tired of ABT''s.

I'm glad there are some new posts on this, as I have never got around to making these yet (shame on me). An earlier comment made me laugh ... (above), been making ABTs for years now, not for a second have I got tired of them...
    I agree...this is going to the top of my to do list.  I was thinking as long as I have bacon and cream cheese I could make some ABTs along side them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    A variation I make to the basic recipe idea is I cap the cheese in the Pig Shot with a thin slice of pepperoni.  I call it my coin flip as it adds yet another taste flip to this already artery blocking snack!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I'm glad this thread got bumped up. Recipe is saved and in queue for a cook.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    You had me at pork...

I'm definitely going to make these soon.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    this is next on my hit list
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Wanasmoke
    Options
    Great idea!  Group of guys coming over to plan a golf trip tonight....shots for everyone!
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • GATraveller
    Options
    They will not disappoint!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    I could taste those from here!  Thanks for sharing, gotta try these!
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Can't hold out any longer, trying these today, will post pictures later.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Those look awesome!!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    These are great!! Made them tonight, thank you!
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • grillman14
    Options
    I have done these numerous times and use the Rothchild Dirty Martini Mix with 1 tub cream cheese... They are a show stopper for sure... if you go to Rothchilds website look under dealer locater you will find it....
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    A little Sunday afternoon snack. Ran short on the cream cheese in a few of them, and used chunk of pepper jack cheese instead
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

XLBGE 
  • partaf
    partaf Posts: 30
    Options
    Do you use a whole piece of bacon and just keep wrapping it around?  I struggled trying to get the bacon to stand up for me to place the cheese. Would it better to leave the sausage frozen ?  
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    1/2 piece of bacon works.  Thinner bacon crisps quicker than thick but doesn’t stand up as well as thick cut.  The filling shouldn’t help the bacon stand up better than when empty.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    1/2 piece of bacon works.  Thinner bacon crisps quicker than thick but doesn’t stand up as well as thick cut.  The filling shouldn’t help the bacon stand up better than when empty.
    Shouldn't?  Or should?
    I use a ziploc, cut the corner off and stick it inside the floppy bacon and pipe the filling in so it comes "bottom up" which holds the bacon up nicely. Spoons make this much harder in my experience. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    gmac said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Shouldn't?  Or should?
    I use a ziploc, cut the corner off and stick it inside the floppy bacon and pipe the filling in so it comes "bottom up" which holds the bacon up nicely. Spoons make this much harder in my experience. 
    Should.  Apparently I need stronger coffee.  :s
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I use a ziploc to pipe in the cream cheese, works great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TexasBelliott
    Options
    I made a batch of these for an FFL draft last night, and people raved about them. They are absolutely delicious. Will definitely put these on the rotation. 

To confirm, thick cut bacon is the way to go. I used a piping bag for the filling, but a Ziplock would also work great. They cooked for me at about 300 for just at 60 minutes for the desired result.

Again, these are a winner. Please try them, but make a lot. They are real crowd pleasers.

(forgive the poorly rotated pictures)

LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.