Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RIP Charlie Watts

Options
The Stones will never die. 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sad. The beat will go on. 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    So sad.  Will see them this November 2nd with replacement drummer.  Rest in peace Charlie!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    That is indeed the passage of a true legend.  
    Condolences to his family.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RIP, Charlie. In the mid-60s, who would have thought any of the Stones would have made it to 80!? And yet...

Charlie Watts, 80
    Mick Jagger, 78
    Keith Richards, 77
    Ronnie Wood, 74

Personally, I was more of a Beatles fan, but the Stones grew on me over the years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    He had the best job in the business. 

Sat back, kept time, smiled once a show, and made the same money they all did. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Even the brightest stars don’t shine forever.

I read an article about Charlie Watts, who tried to kill Mick Jagger, but was stopped from doing so by Keith Richards saving his life, only because Mick Jagger was wearing Keith Richard’s jacket.

If memory serves me correctly, The Stones were in The Netherlands. The place they were staying had Charlie on a different floor, a couple below Jagger, Wood, anc Richards.

Mick wanted to get everyone together, and called down to Charlie Watts room and whoever answered the phone heard “send up my drummer.”

Moments later there was a knock on the door, and Keith opened it, and standing there in a suit, pressed perfectly, not a hair out of place, walked Right past Keith without saying a word, straight to Mick, grabbed him by the lapels, expressed his disagreement in him being called Mick’s drummer. Then Mick caught a roundhouse left, from Charlie that sent him stumbling and bouncing of furniture, ending halfway out a large open window. Charlie went after him again grabbing the lapels, trying to heave him out the window. Keith started freaking out because he wanted his jacket back.

Charlie always made it clear he was the drummer for The Rolling Stones.

Nobody else. Ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    He showered and shaved before doing so, too. 

Always the best dressed man in the room

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2021
    Options
    It’s been said by many that Charlie held this band together. I expect this will be the last tour. Hope I am wrong….and they will carry on. It’s a sad day regardless of what happens. We will miss seeing him keep the beat. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    RIP, Charlie. In the mid-60s, who would have thought any of the Stones would have made it to 80!? And yet...

Charlie Watts, 80
    Mick Jagger, 78
    Keith Richards, 77
    Ronnie Wood, 74

Personally, I was more of a Beatles fan, but the Stones grew on me over the years.
    Bill Wyman, 84
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Very sad news. I do enjoy hearing many of the new-to-me stories that inevitably come out after something like this happens.

It's funny to think I attended a stop on the Steel Wheels tour around 1990 and thinking, when will I have another opportunity to ever see these guys again? Four or five years later I saw them again after Voodoo Lounge came out. It is utterly staggering to me this band is still touring today.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    One of the most most memorable concerts I attended was The Fabulous Thunder Birds & ZZ Top opening for The Rolling Stones at the Houston Astrodome in 1981.  Man what a lineup and show.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Bar said:
    One of the most most memorable concerts I attended was The Fabulous Thunder Birds & ZZ Top opening for The Rolling Stones at the Houston Astrodome in 1981.  Man what a lineup and show.
    That’s a tour de force right there… and two thirds Texan. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Bar said:
    I was there!

I may have the ticket stub. I’ll check later. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    We have tickets to the opening night of this tour, it will be bittersweet to be sure. This will be the second time I have seen them, the first for my wife. In reading articles, he considered himself a jazz drummer first, rock and roll drummer second. He will be missed for sure.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Bar
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Bar said:
    I was there!

I may have the ticket stub. I’ll check later. 
    That’s too cool.  Man, I wish I still had mine.  
  • Bar
    Options

Is there a story that goes along with this?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Yes, DW charged even more for a 6 1/2 x 14 snare drum. 
    New Albany, Ohio