Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

straight up smoke, huh? LOL

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Options
    That looks really good, care to share the recipe?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Both pics look great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Options
    Thank you! I'll give it a try but there's no way my wife will let me put anchovies in there, ha!
  • RRP
    Options
    wps456 said:
    Thank you! I'll give it a try but there's no way my wife will let me put anchovies in there, ha!
    No problem! Actually the anchovies were one of MY additions to the original recipe. Don’t worry that meatloaf recipe still rocks! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's exactly like my mother's meatloaf. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Ron this is a fantastic post.  Keeping it real!  Nice job.  Shiit now I’m starving for meat loaf…….
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Substitute fish sauce!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    Substitute fish sauce!
    Or even oyster sauce...but whether anchoives, fish sauce or oyster sauce may I suggest you try ALL of those one by one in some OTHER dish so you will know how they are received by your family? This meat loaf does take time to ready the ingredients, then fry and sauté some of them and then assemble the loaf, much less egg it!
    So IOW if some family member is bummed out by a mere sauce ingredient to ruin the meat loaf for them then you sure wasted a lot of time and effort! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    In limited experiences, I’ve found if I just don’t mention certain “flag” ingredients, and just serve, I don’t hear complaints.
    Coconut being the exception.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Botch said:
    In limited experiences, I’ve found if I just don’t mention certain “flag” ingredients, and just serve, I don’t hear complaints.  
    I agree. Unless someone at your gathering happens to be allergic to what you're serving... SURPRISE!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    Coconut being the exception.  
    About 40 years ago we entertained 4 couples with a kick butt strogganoff I make. With it I served a delicious Caesar salad....you know...made with raw egg...Well one of the guys, named Gordon said something like "this is a great taste that I've never had before..." and about then his wife stood up and said "HOLY SH*T...this has raw egg!!! GORDON STOP EATING! "

i swear within 30 seconds Gordon turned beet red and started to choke! Thankfully she had some medicine in her purse which he took and then quit eating! He turned out OK, but needless to say that sure bummed the evening....

Epilogue...after that Gordon got drunk as a shrunk that night and his wife drove him home! 

Sometimes we do need to warn or at least ask people about any allergies! 

• Bellavista52
    Options
    JMHO but likely one can't specifically taste the anchovies in this recipe.  I make a pizza sauce recipe that has anchovies and can't tell they are included.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    JMHO but likely one can't specifically taste the anchovies in this recipe.  I make a pizza sauce recipe that has anchovies and can't tell they are included.
    Yep.  You don’t taste it in Worcestershire sauce, but it’s in there too.