Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

destination - 12 great pizzas!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Today I assembled this pot which will result in 11 or 12 packages of our favorite pizza sauce. I like to let it rest in the refrigerator over night before cooking it. The original recipe was one I took off the old forum 20 years ago and have tweaked it to our tastes over the years. It freezes well and tastes great! I'll repeat this process in another week for 11 or 12 more!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    ron . . . now that you have our attention . . . details mon  :)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Thank You Ron, looks totally intriguing 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Ron,

Love the idea but why oh why didn't you post this a month ago when I had Romas coming out of my a**?  Now my plants are petering out.  Only had two plants but probably got well over 100 Romas between them.  Anyway awesome idea and I'll save this for next year!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    12 pizzas as a destination is a place I want to go! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    stv8r said:
    Ron,

Love the idea but why oh why didn't you post this a month ago when I had Romas coming out of my a**?  Now my plants are petering out.  Only had two plants but probably got well over 100 Romas between them.  Anyway awesome idea and I'll save this for next year!
    Sorry! Home grown would have been really special! I just cross my fingers that what I bought locally were actually grown locally and not trucked in green from a couple thousand miles South of here! BTW where ARE you located as tomatoes are just now plentiful?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great stuff in the works Ron
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Driving the bus to pizza town!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    edited August 2021
    I don’t see any anchovies on that beautiful pie 😳
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • stv8r
    edited August 2021
    RRP said:
    stv8r said:
    Ron,

Sorry! Home grown would have been really special! I just cross my fingers that what I bought locally were actually grown locally and not trucked in green from a couple thousand miles South of here! BTW where ARE you located as tomatoes are just now plentiful?
    I'm in Maryland.  We had a warm spell so I planted last week of April. Only had to cover plants two nights.  I was overrun with Romas Mid June to early August. Still getting a few but much slower now. This photo was July 18th. 
  • RRP
    From the whateverit'sworth dept...the above posts by @stv8r got me to thinking since home grown Romas are different sizes. For this batch I just made then the "18 Romas" in my recipe weighted 4.4 pounds. The finished yield was 11 packages with 3/4th cup of sauce suitable for a 14" pizza and 1 2/3rd cup perfect for a 12" pizza. HTH.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    @rrp what side of the freeze tite paper do you put down onto the dough when rolling it out?  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • RRP
    Hoster05 said:
    @rrp what side of the freeze tite paper do you put down onto the dough when rolling it out?  
    LOL - I didn't realize there was a difference, but I pull out a piece and place it on top the dough so I guess you might say the underside. BTW I do clamp the parchment paper and Freeze Tite to my bread board and then lift up the Freeze Tite and place the dough on the parchment paper and then press down and clamp the other side. Then start with the rolling pin.
  • Hoster05
    RRP said:
    Hoster05 said:
    LOL - I didn't realize there was a difference, but I pull out a piece and place it on top the dough so I guess you might say the underside. BTW I do clamp the parchment paper and Freeze Tite to my bread board and then lift up the Freeze Tite and place the dough on the parchment paper and then press down and clamp the other side. Then start with the rolling pin.
    Got it.  My freezer paper seems to have one side with a more waxy texture.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • RRP
    edited August 2021
    Hoster05 said:
    RRP said:
    Hoster05 said:
    Got it.  My freezer paper seems to have one side with a more waxy texture.  
    Sorry, but that Freezer-Tite is an “industrial strength” clear wrap which runs circles around that crappy Saran Wrap product. Freezer-Tite is not freezer wrap paper. Sorry if I misled you.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    @RRP I bought a box of the freezer-tite on amzn and it worked perfect for rolling out thin pizza crust. Thanks for the suggestion.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • stv8r
    edited August 2021
    So Ron I would like to make this using some local farm Roma's but I'm confused about your reference to layers? Are you dividing the ingredients in thirds and layering or is the recipe for one layer X 3?
  • RRP
    stv8r said:
    So Ron I would like to make this using some local farm Roma's but I'm confused about your reference to layers? Are you dividing the ingredients in thirds and layering or is the recipe for one layer X 3?
    Sorry, but like I said...
     so there are three identical layers.
  • Hoster05

Haven’t gotten the freeze tite yet but we made these on the egg last weekend.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE