Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: funny YETI cooler article: OT

Options
2»

Comments

• DavidCrumpton
    DavidCrumpton Posts: 198
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The American capacity to purchase a product from a company and then help them advertise it (for free!) really is amazing.  I’m not sure any other country comes close to us in this regard.
    Yes Europeans are obsessed with high end logo clothing. One of my German friends walks around looking like Times Square. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    In my no longer (I hope) car buying days (last trip was Sep 2020) I have always bought used (save once in 1971...) but other than the friggin dealer plate frame I have not encountered the stickies.
    SWMBO and her "gotta be new" buy (at least it's only every 10-11 years) has ended up in that space.  Quickly removed.  
    I suppose I could decide to become a walking Madison Avenue billboard but that move would require a wardrobe upgrade that will never happen.  Besides, who gives a crap about what a "certified get off my lawn old fart cares?"
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The American capacity to purchase a product from a company and then help them advertise it (for free!) really is amazing.  I’m not sure any other country comes close to us in this regard.
    Yes Europeans are obsessed with high end logo clothing. One of my German friends walks around looking like Times Square. 
    Americans are far from unique in this regard.  I’ve known many Koreans and Japanese who will only wear socks with giant logos on them.  Also, many countries can’t get enough of American clothing, which I suspect is a big reason we see these large logos on everything.  

Speaking of the Germans, who has a bigger logo that the typical Adidas t-shirt?

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    When I was growing up we had a neighbor couple who were what now would be called yuppies, but this was back in the 1950's. My Dad always called them "hundred dollar millionaires". Anyway they would never take the price tags off their indoor and outdoor furniture and I recall a speedboat they owned as well! They had a son and I remember he told me he got a horrible spanking because he took the tags off his bedroom furniture!   
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Don’t throw a shoe at me but I have a bunch of yeti stickers in various colors sent to me after warranty registering some yeti tumblers.  If anyone wants them shoot me a note discretely to keep your street cred with Ron. Or reply here and thereby tell the manila folder crowd to kiss your fanny. If anyone cares— for hardside coolers, I prefer Engel with the SS replacement latches.  We use an old metal coke cooler for squirrel proof birdseed container.  I don’t put stickers on my car — not to avoid endorsement but to be more anonymous when I road rage by throwing shoes at other cars. Or raw spaghetti noodles if already barefoot but that’s for another day and you do you. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Buckwoody Egger - Dang- all those Friday night therapy sessions and you throttled back your inner self.  The shoe tossing-driver's side or thru the passenger window.  Inquiring minds (best title I can come up here)  want to know.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Frank as you know the location of the target determines the vector.  We oughta revive the Friday zooms occasionally.  Totally kidding on the shoe/noodles because here in Atlanta 1 out of every 10 drivers thinks they are auditioning for the next Fast and the Furious movie — and the rest of us better like it or get road rage in our direction. The cops let them run and the insurance companies charge us way more for uninsured motorists coverage every quarter than the rebate we get for being accident free. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    So is buckwoody something to with Dunwoody and Buckhead .  Just curious- I went to Marist and lived in dunwoody in high school and later lived in the poor part of Buckhead 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    He's probably trying to look like an American.  Outside of soccer and racing fan garb, and maybe excluding Italian millennials,  Europeans are into darker and neutral solid colors.  If you google something like "how to dress so I don't look like a tourist in europe" you'll get the picture.

In Asia, big bold American brands with logos are hot commodities and sell for a premium.

Of course there are regional, sub-cultural and generational trends, you can't pigeon-hole anyone.  American TV/movies are big everywhere and influence style.  When I lived there I don't recall seeing many baseball caps, fanny packs, flip-flops and messaging on t-shirts.  Maybe it's changing, but you can actually look at pictures, contemporaneously, of the streets anywhere and get a pretty good picture.

Options
    Yep.  We have a pathologic need to advertise status.  My father observed (and I mentioned this on another thread here a couple of years ago) that the worst thing that ever happened to piano sales was the invention of the automobile.  Once people could park their status symbol in the driveway they no longer needed a baby grand piano in the bay window at the front of the house.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    RRP said

That's like me and car dealer emblems! When I buy a car or truck I specify I won't take delivery until such advertising is removed!
    my father once bought (ordered) a  car and specifically had the salesman write “no dealer emblem” or whatever on the write up. Big letters. 

Came the day to pick it up and lo and behold there was one of those chromed plastic dealer plates in script, stuck to the rear deck right next to the make/model badge: “Newman Ford” 

(fun fact: dealership is/was about a mile from
    fishless’ shop)

dad finished the walk-around, sat in the car, etc etc then got out and said “looks good to me. Hey. Wuick question, have you got a pair of channel-lock pliers anywhere!”

weird look from the salesman, but in a minute or so someone came from the shop with them. 

Dad said “thanks!” and grabbed the name plate with the pliers and tore it off, handed both back to the salesman. 

(I have a great story about that car years later when he traded it in to the same dealership…. Another day another thread)

fast forward to my buying days, and i have asked the same thing. No stickers etc. They always do it anyway, and they peel off easily when new. Try a hair dryer if you really need to.

But now, I just say “hey, no dealer stickers anywhere on the thing. But I *will* be happy to take a license plate frame with your name on it. No back and forth. Guy seemed happy to oblige. 

(Between you and me, those things are uglier than hell, and I cannot fathom why any moron pays tens of thousands of dollars for a car and lets the dealer slap that craap on it. )

When I picked up my last car, sure enough: no stickers, but an ugly dealer license plate frame. Ok by me. 

Shake hands, drive away. Pull in at an Autozone, unbolt the plastic dealer frame and toss it in the trash. Went in and bought a simple chrome frame, bolted it on, and drove away. 

i have to take the frames off the plates now for inspection or they take it off. cant even slightly cover the spirit of whatever lingo on the plates now for the reflection test and registry photo. i guess everyone NEEDS to read the mass logo
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    had stickers on my first car then nothing except the thin blue line stickers the chief would give me. he has been retired recently if you know what that means, no sticker currently but the thin blue line sticker seems to work, havent gotten more than a have a good day when getting pulled over
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    ill advertise a shirt til the collar rots off and continue wearing it, lucky them
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    RRP said:
    When I was growing up we had a neighbor couple who were what now would be called yuppies, but this was back in the 1950's. My Dad always called them "hundred dollar millionaires". Anyway they would never take the price tags off their indoor and outdoor furniture and I recall a speedboat they owned as well! They had a son and I remember he told me he got a horrible spanking because he took the tags off his bedroom furniture!   
    Reminds me of DINK that was coined around the same era when swmbo and I were SINKing  :)
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ill advertise a shirt til the collar rots off and continue wearing it, lucky them
    I'm not sure they're excited or in fact planned on their branded shirts turning into an ensemble of thread-bare upper-torso redneck daisy dukes, but you might just start a trend there.

Options
    I just have my NRA Benefactor Life Member stickers on my F250. Ynette won't let me put them on her Mustang.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.