Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin pork chops

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Picked up some thin pork chops this afternoon. Didn’t have any thick ones or full loins. I’m thinking 400-425°, cast iron griddle or Grillgrates in, 3-4 minutes aside till 145° Internal. That sound good for these? Didn’t have time to brine or any of that.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    hot & fast is a good method . . . 3-4" per side IMHO might be a tad long . . . maybe try a shorter duration and then check
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would go hot and fast. Build a crust on first side and second side is what it is at done temp. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Make that fat on the edge extra crispy!
  • Powak
    Options
    Came out killer. 2 minutes and then I just kept flipping until 145-155° 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Yummy looking pok chops!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Looks like you nailed them!

Next time:
    a.  Ensure you can brine or dry-brine for a couple hours (not overnight).
    b.  Grill hot-n-fast, flip every 45 seconds or so.
    c.  With every flip, brush the top with balsamic vinegar (the cheep stuff).
    Only way I'll do thin chops anymore (and its usually all I can get here).   :)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Powak
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Botch said:

Next time:
    Boy that sounds good! Hot n fast for the win fo sho! Hey does something like Malcom Reeds AP spice (salt pepper garlic) work as a dry rub? He puts LOTS of salt in his spices. I let mine sit on the counter top with AP spice on em for about 45 minutes or so before grilling today.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    Was that 400 deg., or did you leave the lid open?
  • Powak
    Options
    Bar said:
    Was that 400 deg., or did you leave the lid open?
    450 with lid open.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Powak said:
    Botch said:

Next time:
    Boy that sounds good! Hot n fast for the win fo sho! Hey does something like Malcom Reeds AP spice (salt pepper garlic) work as a dry rub? He puts LOTS of salt in his spices. I let mine sit on the counter top with AP spice on em for about 45 minutes or so before grilling today.
    No idea, I've not worked with Malcom Reed AP.  Were your chops seasoned to your satisfaction?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Powak
    Options
    Botch said:
    Powak said:
    Botch said:

Next time:
    No idea, I've not worked with Malcom Reed AP.  Were your chops seasoned to your satisfaction?  
    They sure were. Juiciest chops I’ve ever made.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    Are you still cooking without the dog bowl and the shower drain back in?  Your fire looked good.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited August 2021
    Options
    best way ive found with thin chops is to put the rub on and freeze them, then cook them over a 600 degree fire. gets a better char before the inside overcooks. i sauce them towards the end of the cook.  i like the thinner chops better than thick and its great for a quick meal if they are prepped and frozen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • platypusrex
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Raging River is my go to rub for chops. Nice cook!
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Powak
    Options
    Bar said:
    Are you still cooking without the dog bowl and the shower drain back in?  Your fire looked good.
    Just for S&G’s I took out the shower drain again, and threw the dog bowl back in. I just opened a new big 30# bag of RO and all the pieces are huge. I gotta say I didn’t notice the fire seeking down too much with the dome open for most of the cook.  The other day I did take this photo with the bowl and drain in and you can see how the bowl takes away some of the real estate in the firebox and COULD change the air flow. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Powak - on the fire situation, how are you lighting your coal?  I noticed the other day when I used a torch that my fire went low even with my bottom vent closed. Kinda seemed like I pushed the flame deeper with the torch than with starter cubes. IDK.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Powak
    Options
    @Powak - on the fire situation, how are you lighting your coal?  I noticed the other day when I used a torch that my fire went low even with my bottom vent closed. Kinda seemed like I pushed the flame deeper with the torch than with starter cubes. IDK.  
    I’ve used my JJ George torch last few times which seems to do a better job getting the top coals going. My Bernzomatic torch seems too focused snd sends the fire lower. I really want to get another BGE around hoop electric starter. That one I owned when I first got my egg worked great. I’ve lit mine with RO tumble weeds before and the fire still shot down and after an hour off cooking at 400+ the next day those tumble weeds were still sitting on top. Very weird.
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Wouldn't Sous vide be the way to go?  Chill then char? Best of both worlds. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    These looked great. I use a sous vide on thick chops, then sear. Thin chops on the grill are brined, rubbed, with a fast, hot cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    There is a little place in Ball Ground GA that sells sausages etc, I purchased some Italian Sausage, and the lady threw in a smoked pork chop (slow smoked) and sealed. That sucker in a cast iron skillet (brown on each side) was the perfect accompaniment to some sunny side up eggs, and toast. Headed back soon for more. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow