Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After 3 years.

Options
bubbajack
bubbajack Posts: 1,103
edited July 2021 in EggHead Forum
After three years of extreme abuse and negligence,  I decided to do some maintence.  Took six hours and a six pack of tall boys, as well as listening to some terrible music....😎 

Scraped a half inch of pig, beef,chicken fat out of this thing.

Scraped the old gasket of the top, as well as the bottom and did some major prep work, even though I had a 10 inch gap on my previous gasket, which included some knife work, grinding, sanding....replaced with a @RRP gasket. Worked like a charm per the instructions.

Warped bands almost letting my dome hit the ground. Put the new bands on, what a difference! Not sure that I am done adjusting, but it did pass the dollar bill test.

Calibrated my dome thermometer.

Cleaned the smokeware cap with oven cleaner, three or four times.

Sprayed it down with deep greaser 7 times. Washed and scrubbed and still looks like sh-t..

Looking forward to cooking on this again. 

I do have a realley clean handle, at least! Still need to do a clean burn, but should be good after that.

Peace!

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,990
    Options
    Just went through that after 5 myself. Next time it will be done is when my children do it when I am dead. Just did the gaskets, bands, cleaning. Difference is unbelievable.

Here is to the next three, with better music and cold ones my good friend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,915
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the mention! And may YOUR gasket survive 17 years like mine has! But who is counting?...

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Isn't it funny now you will wipe it down as it's warming up because you swear you missed a spot.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Awesome post. Good documentation. A great reminder of the lavish treatment all Eggs should receive every now and then.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,103
    Options
    The new hinge and bands makes the dome feel like a small or MM. I waited too long to make the upgrade. Now I need to order a new set for the XL. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Great work Bubbajack. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Your supposed to clean them?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Your supposed to clean them?
    It’s all lies @Mickey designed to sell more aftermarket gaskets.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Happy for you. At first, I thought you had quit drankin….relieved. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    No criticism but after 6 years of ownership I’ve never cleaned mine. I did do pizzas yesterday for first time in over a year as an excuse to heat up to a high temp and burn off some of the crud. 

Still also have original gasket going strong. I do generally take the insides out annually to clean out any hard to reach ash. 

How many people do clean burns etc - how common is this? 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    When I notice grease everywhere in the egg, I will let 'er rip after a steak cook or other high-temp event.  I never fill / light the egg for the sole purpose of doing a "clean burn".  But, I will take advantage of a hot fire and let it burn some of the nasties out. 

I live in an apartment complex, so I am also aware / considerate of my neighbors who have cars parked outside and sometimes windows open.  No one likes to have that smell forced upon them.

There is something satisfying about seeing white inside your egg again.
    Clinton, Iowa