Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal flat top grill add on help please

jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited July 2021 in Beef
I have an outdoor kitchen.  Built in etc.  Couldn't do a flat top or a Blackstone.  I've been looking at flat top add on part to my gas grill. 

Example below.  Anyone have one.  Any tips, suggestions, cast iron, stainless.  304 stainless etc.  Here is an example I looked at.  Mixed reviews.  They have a smaller one much cheaper as well.  I've seen others.  Please chime in

Help.  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBDBV8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VJCXQV899FAXWE898DS4

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    stainless is not as good of a griddle surface as common steel, it doesnt heat up or hold heat as well. You dont see any commercial restaurant griddle plates in stainless. That being said, this small size would work in your gas grill. You may see if you could get it closer to flame. Camp Chef makes some add on models, Lodge has cast iron and Rocky Mountain Cookware has some lift off models.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    I have some Baking Steel (www.bakingsteel.com) pieces. 16" round for the egg and the skinny griddle (spans two burners) for the stove top. Both work really well.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2021
    Tspud1 said:
    stainless is not as good of a griddle surface as common steel, it doesnt heat up or hold heat as well. You dont see any commercial restaurant griddle plates in stainless. That being said, this small size would work in your gas grill. You may see if you could get it closer to flame. Camp Chef makes some add on models, Lodge has cast iron and Rocky Mountain Cookware has some lift off models.

True in theory but the main reason commercial griddles don't use stainless is b/c a slab that thick would be cost prohibitive.  I've got a solid 1/4" stainless griddle that fits over a large side-burner and it's a dream to cook on. Even heating, no sticking etc - same as carbon steel in real life use.  For outdoor kitchens, the fact that it doesn't rust outweighs in differences on paper. 

@jdMyers

This is more expensive than the one on Amazon but it's 1/4" solid stainless and appears designed to fit over a gas grill. 

https://www.bbqguys.com/fire-magic/stainless-steel-griddle-for-echelon-aurora-a790-a660-a530-power-burners-double-searing-station-3516a
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ALLCAPS
    ALLCAPS Posts: 9
    I hate my money and think I love this thing I never knew I wanted. 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    smak said:
    I have some Baking Steel (www.bakingsteel.com) pieces. 16" round for the egg and the skinny griddle (spans two burners) for the stove top. Both work really well.
    I'd be interested in seeing photos.   Thanks
    Columbus, Ohio