Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Returning to the fold

Options
I am about to buy yet another BGE. I started out life with an XL. Then very soon after, bought a small to take camping.
My son became a believer so I gave him the XL and replaced it with a large to go with the small.
Fast forward 10 years and due to some sad life events, all 3 eggs are no longer with us. Like pets, I have fond memories and miss all of them terribly and got to thinking it may have been a very bad idea to give them names. And an even worse idea to let them go! It's now time to live again and since now it's just for my wife and I 99% of the time, I was thinking of getting a medium; the one size I have no eggsperience with. I have read up on almost everything on this forum about the ability of the medium WRT cooking pizza (12"), brisket, butts etc and with past eggs have a pretty good idea about both the capability and limitations of the medium (as far as I can imagine without actually having used one). But I do have a few minor questions I have not found an answer to:

(1) with the new intEGGrated nest, does the new design provide the ability for 2 people to easily move it around? Or does it need to be dismantled. With my setup I can't use the wheels to roll it. Not portable to the same extent as the new MiniMax of course, just for 2 people to pickup the whole thing and carry to relocate it in the yard or move it to the garage. 

(2) it appears the 3 ceramic feet are no longer available. I used to like those for holding pizza stones off the platesetter. Any recommended replacements?

(3) is there is anything else I should look for or that I should know? It seems that there have been many new products added to the BGE line during my period of darkness such as the 5-piece EGGspander kit. This new (so far unnamed) egg is going to see me out so I want to get it right....

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Well here’s to your new green future. I used a medium for many years. Last year I used Uncle Sam’s Covid bonus to upgrade to a large. I mounted the large in a Cuna Cart from the Ceramic Grill Store. I no longer have the medium, my nephew received his inheritance early. But I could move it by myself in its nest fairly easily. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    The medium Egg, by itself, weighs almost 100 pounds.  So, I guess it depends on your brute strength!  As far as the ceramic feet go, you can just use the terra-cotta clay feet available at most garden/home stores.  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I don't think carrying an egg will be easier with the integrated nest.  If I had to carry one with any regularity, I think I would go with the Mini-Max.  You can certainly cook for two on the Mini-Max and you can move it around at will.

Why can't you use the wheels?  Even with a couple of sheets of plywood?  How often do you need to relocate it? 

If you only need to move it outside in the spring, and inside in the winter, I would disassemble and move it in pieces to the garage and back out.  Or, cut a sheet of plywood in half and move it on plywood.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Options
    A medium without internals is easy enough to move a couple times a year. In and out of a garage regularly for cooks would need rollers. If cooking just meats a medium is more than large enough for two and only 2 inches more than a minimax that's way more portable. As we get older our diets sometimes change. I only cook for two found a medium still wasn't big enough once I wanted to do meat and veggies. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Would bigger wheels on the nest help? I had pneumatic wheels on my eggs for a while, then switched to solid 5” casters. I have a flagstone patio, and the bigger wheels definitely help. 

• caliking
    Options
    Also, if you just need a space between the pizza stone and PS, copper tees work very well. 

• Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    I would go large for grill space or mini max for portability.  The medium has a smaller grill space but is still pretty heavy to move around.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Bar said:
    I would go large for grill space or mini max for portability.  The medium has a smaller grill space but is still pretty heavy to move around.
    I agree, but a simple product called a “Pot Lifter” makes carrying a M/M and even a gutted Medium very easy to cart around like a duffle bag!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Bar said:
    Agreed, and the number of after-market toys for the Large dwarfs those for the Medium, if you're into toys and gadgets.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    Options
    Spent some time at the local BGE supplier today and saw the new mini-max in the flesh for the first time; this thing is really portable! But in that I do like the occasional overnight cook, it won't work for me. I didn't realize the number of options available on the large vastly exceeds those for the medium. Also the medium is apparently special order here but the large is in stock. I'm now starting to lean towards the large. I just need to come up with something where I don't have to move it - unless I do of course. Thanks for all the comments..
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    A table with rollers comes to mind.