Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Salmon: thaw Q and safe to SV?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Why does the vac seal on frozen fish always say to remove packaging THEN thaw?  I am considering SV for these - seems so wasteful to remove this vac seal only to vac seal again.  what if I just keep frozen in original vac seal, then toss direct into SV?  
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Best Answers

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,303
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I’ve debated this issue myself in the past. Seems a shame to cut away perfectly good packaging only to repackage. Sous viding from frozen is no issue. I think the only thing that might give me some pause is the safety of SV’ing in the original package. I always wonder if the plastic is safe to SV in the way that Food Saver bags are. 

Regardless, my recommendation going forward is to start with a whole piece of fish and portion and vac seal yourself. The fish tastes fresher and you save some money on the packaging costs. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would sous vide in that packaging.  They probably don't package food in unsafe bags.  I have sous vided (is that a word) in the original packaging.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Generally speaking, if the bags are made from polyethylene, which most are, it is food safe at sous vide temperatures.  If the bags are made from polyvinyl chloride, they are not. 

If you aren't sure, light a corner of the bag.  If it is PVC, it will smell like chlorine, very acrid, lots of soot/smoke.  Polyethylene burns fairly clean like wax with a blue flame/yellow tip.  

Actually, this might help:

Ziploc bags, for example, are polyethylene and are safe for sous vide.  The vast majority of freezer bags are polyethylene and I would be surprised if they used pvc.  However, pvc is actually still safe for the heat levels you would use with fish.  It is rated safe for hot water delivery, the main problem is burst pressure drops with PVC pipes and heat.  Assuming you SV fish under 140F.

Answers

• NDG
    Options
    Tnx - yes good idea moving fwd.  Short term (to be safe) I guess I have to remove packaging & vac seal again ??
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    Generally speaking, if the bags are made from polyethylene, which most are, it is food safe at sous vide temperatures.  If the bags are made from polyvinyl chloride, they are not. 

If you aren't sure, light a corner of the bag.  If it is PVC, it will smell like chlorine, very acrid, lots of soot/smoke.  Polyethylene burns fairly clean like wax with a blue flame/yellow tip.  

Actually, this might help:

Ziploc bags, for example, are polyethylene and are safe for sous vide.  The vast majority of freezer bags are polyethylene and I would be surprised if they used pvc.  However, pvc is actually still safe for the heat levels you would use with fish.  It is rated safe for hot water delivery, the main problem is burst pressure drops with PVC pipes and heat.  Assuming you SV fish under 140F.

Great stuff . . guess I am going to ignite some plastic here at lunch . . 
    Columbus, OH

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    As a bonus, you can probably find some sweet plastics to burn for gender reveal parties.