Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke ware grate stacker with medium bge

Options
I was wondering if anyone has the smoke ware grate stacker with the medium bge. Can you send some pics of it. Also does it work with the ceramic I detect heat thing installed. Does it get in the way of the temp gauge if the ceramic deflector plate is installed. I’m thinking about buying it just not sure of a few things. Thanks for the response.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It's a nice simple way to add more or just multiple levels for sear and roast temps. The upper cooking grate will not be in the way of temp gauge...but the food you put on it might be.
    I tend to cook mostly on 1 level, raised, so I normally use my Ceramic Grill Store Woo Ring.
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/medium-big-green-egg-accessories/products/medium-woo-big-green-egg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    Options
    Thank you for your reply

about 90% of the time I will use the single grate, but when I have a few people over the medium seems to be to small to feed 10 people. I’ll probably buy the raised grate system. Kinda wish I bought a large egg instead of the medium 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Kinda wish I bought a large egg instead of the medium 
    It is never too late!  You could become Mr2eggs!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I have one for my large. I really like it. I use mine with a spider and stone from the Ceramic Grill Store. It helps keep the stacker not sit so high in the dome. 

My biggest recommendation is finding a heavier food grate that will counterbalance the top food grate so it won't tilt/fall out when placing heavier items on top. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I’ve been thinking about selling this one and buying a large or even another medium and having two. But we’ll see. 

I was looking at also buying the smoke wares food grate for the bottom grate because my factory bge grate let’s me chicken wings fall through :( 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    I’ve been thinking about selling this one and buying a large or even another medium and having two. But we’ll see. 

I was looking at also buying the smoke wares food grate for the bottom grate because my factory bge grate let’s me chicken wings fall through :( 

My lower cooking grate I want to say weighs 14lbs for my Large egg. With the heavier grate I'm able to accommodate the standard Large cooking grate on the top Stacker for a couple full size cooking grids. The spider and stone also helps with the second full size grid. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Ya I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one this weekend..

I have another question for you guys and don’t feel like starting another discussion.

im looking at buying a few stainless steel items for the egg, I see that their website sells a lot of cast iron products like the skillet piece and cast iron cooking pot. I’m wondering where I can buy these products in ss and not cast iron.

I just build a little outdoor kitchen and am afraid of rust, kinda lazy to keep it oiled, and honestly can’t tell the difference in taste between ss and cast. I wish they made all their products in either ss or cast 
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I plan on keeping all these pots and skillets outside in my outdoor kitchen*
  • Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Options
    Yes, I got the stacker for the large with 15 inch grate cut an inch off the tubes and bought the minimax grate-13inches vs 11 from smokeware. That let me use the regular grate without anything attached and use the smokeware 15inch bolted to 13 inch minimax grate. With the two level and platesetter anything thicker than a chicken thigh hit the thermometer. Works well if you leave that space empty.
  • Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Options
    Slkegger said:
    Yes, I got the stacker for the large with 15 inch grate cut an inch off the tubes and bought the minimax grate-13inches vs 11 from smokeware. That let me use the regular grate without anything attached and use the smokeware 15inch bolted to 13 inch minimax grate. With the two level and platesetter anything thicker than a chicken thigh hit the thermometer. Works well if you leave that space empty.
    I have since graduated to the xl. Almost the same cook.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Ya I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one this weekend..

Go XL, you will have the perfect set up with already having a Medium.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Slkegger said:
    Slkegger said:
    I have since graduated to the xl. Almost the same cook.
    Ha, thought you were OP for a second and that that was a quick progression from asking about medium two level to picking up an XL 

I'm in the XL and M club after the medium being my gateway drug.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm in the XL and M club after the medium being my gateway drug.

Same thing happened to me.
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I would love to buy another egg but I just can’t think of a reason to have two eggs beside when I have a gathering with my colleagues. They seems like a lot of money to spend for just a couple times a year. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    I would love to buy another egg but I just can’t think of a reason to have two eggs beside when I have a gathering with my colleagues. They seems like a lot of money to spend for just a couple times a year. 
    Keep and eye out for a really good price on Craigslist. Easier to justify at 1/3 retail.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I just thought of this with the help of your comment, if I found another medium used I could use my warranty for my medium on both!!!!
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Think I’m going to the dark side and buying a primo xl….. been thinking a lot and deciding to go that way. I will miss the egg dearly.