Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the consensus on challenger tables, worth the cost?

Found this locally on Facebook.  I am not sure I can repackage it for a lot of return with a large egg when I sell it.  I don't think most people would pay $2000 they charge for these new.  I might just keep it, what has been the experience of those with one?  Does it need to be covered, or does it stand up to the desert sun that I live in?  Its in great shape, seemed basically brand new loading it up into my car.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited June 2021
    I have that same table and paid retain for it when I bought my egg.  Highly recommended. For $150, I'd buy 2. No need to cover it. I bought a cover but never use it.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    dmourati said:
    I have that same table and paid retain for it when I bought my egg.  Highly recommended. For $150, I'd buy 2. No need to cover it. I bought a cover but never use it.
    good feedback.  it came with a cover as well.  I think they covered the egg and table, and also kept it in a garage.  This was in a pretty nice gated neighborhood outside of Park City, Utah.  Based on the price, I asked if they were selling the large egg that they had in it.  He said he built it into a kitchen.  Maybe I will keep it for a little bit to decide if its for me.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Nice score you just bragging or what?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sure the seller wasn’t the pool boy in that gated community following orders to sell her ex-husband’s assets when he left her for their 20 year old nannie? You know…he told her to sell his sh*t and send the money to him! Better go back - there might be a  $300k sports car marked down to say $500 bucks! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    Nah, just not sure if it’s worth not reselling. I buy eggs all the time, usually about six a year and clean them up and sell them. Trying to decide if I keep this one for me. 
  • cookingdude555
    RRP said:
    Sure the seller wasn’t the pool boy in that gated community following orders to sell her ex-husband’s assets when he left her for their 20 year old nannie? You know…he told her to sell his sh*t and send the money to him! Better go back - there might be a  $300k sports car marked down to say $500 bucks! 
    Haha. Was an older couple. She listed the table on Facebook, he helped me load it into my expedition. They said something about a gasket mail order empire they run. ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Nah, just not sure if it’s worth not reselling. I buy eggs all the time, usually about six a year and clean them up and sell them. Trying to decide if I keep this one for me. 
    COOL!

You da man! I have to wonder if you have some secret to share or not! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    edited June 2021
    RRP said:
    COOL!

You da man! I have to wonder if you have some secret to share or not! 
    Nah no secret. I make sure they are really cleaned and waxed for the pics. Buy low, sell high, don’t try to move them off their asking price too much. Set alerts for any egg that is for sale in your area. I text within two minutes of their posting if I can.  It has terrible pay, but it’s play money I use to buy all my bbq gear. I have two larges, one medium, and this table to unload right now. I paid $300 each, or less for all of them. Kind of a hobby of mine. 

Edit: I had a large for $100 two weeks ago that I passed on.  it was over twenty years old. It was stuck to the nest and the bands were cemented to the dome and base. So you only should get ones that someone else would want. No projects. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    You must have a strong back flipping Eggs.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Challenger tables are fantastic -- best accessory I've ever bought.
    Paid $1,600 for that same model (but with the flip-up shelf) seven years ago and it's still in like-new condition despite sitting outside.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • cookingdude555
    edited June 2021
    RyanStl said:
    I call it a strong stomach.  This was a stupid move, I left the innards in the joe while carrying it through the house to the backyard.  Getting too old for that crap.  Good thing a camera is there to document the potential tumble into the backyard, it will make an awesome video.

• cookingdude555
    OhioEgger said:
    Paid $1,600 for that same model (but with the flip-up shelf) seven years ago and it's still in like-new condition despite sitting outside.
    thats good news, impressive product really.
  • Tspud1
    OhioEgger said:
    Bet it isnt $1600 anymore
  • cookingdude555
    Tspud1 said:
    OhioEgger said:
    Yep, over 2k at the places I looked
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 said:
    OhioEgger said:
    no dealers near me so wasnt sure, I know what mine sell for in similar size
  • cookingdude555
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    OhioEgger said:
    Yeah I just googled a few websites. Someone quoted yesterday how their daughter paid over $2600 for one. What does tspud1 charge for one? Ive never ventured in the deep waters for these, but I do enjoy my two Blackstone covers you sold me. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I have the Torch 54 model for my XL. Never bought a cover for it as the cart does not rust. It was worth every penny. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:
    OhioEgger said:
    Yeah I just googled a few websites. Someone quoted yesterday how their daughter paid over $2600 for one. What does tspud1 charge for one? Ive never ventured in the deep waters for these, but I do enjoy my two Blackstone covers you sold me. 
    Have different sizes but similar size to this starts at $1675,  but most add a few options
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Wow that is an insane deal!!  Congrats!
  • cookingdude555
    Thanks @stv8r. @Tspud1, that looks really nice, good price too. And that view!
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    RyanStl said:
    I call it a strong stomach.  This was a stupid move, I left the innards in the joe while carrying it through the house to the backyard.  Getting too old for that crap.  Good thing a camera is there to document the potential tumble into the backyard, it will make an awesome video.

I saw what looked like a decent KJ for $250 last night on FB market and was so tempted.  I had to tell myself I don't need another ceramic grill over and over, and I'm too lazy to try to make a couple hundred off it.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Found this locally on Facebook.  I am not sure I can repackage it for a lot of return with a large egg when I sell it.  I don't think most people would pay $2000 they charge for these new.  I might just keep it, what has been the experience of those with one?  Does it need to be covered, or does it stand up to the desert sun that I live in?  Its in great shape, seemed basically brand new loading it up into my car.

For $150, that was a steal.  If you wanted to build that yourself with a welder, just the materials would cost you more than that.
  • cookingdude555
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:

I saw what looked like a decent KJ for $250 last night on FB market and was so tempted.  I had to tell myself I don't need another ceramic grill over and over, and I'm too lazy to try to make a couple hundred off it.
    I bought mine to compare with the BGE. Ultimately the BGE won and I sold the KJ for profit after a year of use. 

njl said:

For $150, that was a steal.  If you wanted to build that yourself with a welder, just the materials would cost you more than that.
    Totally agree. And I could never build one of these.