Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love finding a sale

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
Picked up a couple packages.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• I’ve never seen a collection of tri tips like that.  My Whole Foods occasionally has them ( pretty unheard of here) and they’re about 14:bucks a pound.  I still buy them when I see them.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    I’ve never seen a collection of tri tips like that.  My Whole Foods occasionally has them ( pretty unheard of here) and they’re about 14:bucks a pound.  I still buy them when I see them.
    This was a rare find at our local store. Very seldom see it on the shelf. So surprised to see it on sale today. I like the fat trimmed tight, so this was perfect for me.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    My Publix carries Tri Trip. Sadly for some reason, they always remove the fat cap. I prefer a substantial fat cap, it protects the meat from the fires of H**L that I use for cooking them. I utilize the Inferno method.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @GregW - Tri-tip is the perfect cut for the reverse sear and caveman finish (w/o the fat cap).  You should give it a go-run around 250*F on the dome for 45-50 minutes til 120*F internal. Get the hot lava lump bed going and around 1 minute/side and you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    @lousubcap, I will give your method a try. It is a lot easier to find Tri-Tip that has been trimmed.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That’s a score!

seems like it’s been raining tritip here in TX lately. Good for us:)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    GregW said:
    @lousubcap, I will give your method a try. It is a lot easier to find Tri-Tip that has been trimmed.

A nice trimmed Tri Tip cooks more like a steak. A reverse sear is ideal. 
    A traditional fat cap, California style Tip is roasted over medium heat and flipped as needed, and basted. This way your not burning off all the seasoning rub.
    I find a super hot sear burns the rub and can give it a bitter taste. If your just going basic salt, flame away.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    caliking said:
    That’s a score!

seems like it’s been raining tritip here in TX lately. Good for us:)
    My DO Tri Tip was a prime from HEB. It was untrimmed and still in the cryo. But I bet I trimmed over 1 1/2 pounds of thick fat. Hate paying Prime dollar for cut away fat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    @Photo Egg a friend that turned me onto Tri-Tip lived in California for a number of years.
    He learned the Inferno method there, he referred me to youtube to learn the method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNVhZUyTzL8

They really turn out well, but do need a fat cap for a successful cook.

I am going to try your method on the next Tri-Tip I cook.  
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    nice snag Darian!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    GregW said:
    @Photo Egg a friend that turned me onto Tri-Tip lived in California for a number of years.
    He learned the Inferno method there, he referred me to youtube to learn the method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNVhZUyTzL8

They really turn out well, but do need a fat cap for a successful cook.

I am going to try your method on the next Tri-Tip I cook.  
    Even in California, there is more than one way to cook Tri Tip. Do you need a fat cap for a successful cook? No. Absolutely not.
    But the “traditional” California Tri Tip cook is not blistering hot. It’s medium direct heat, flipping and basting. Your YouTube video is just an alternative. Anyone can post a video. If you prefer this, great. But you only need enough heat to obtain caramelization and crust of your rub on the beef without burning the **** out of your spices.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    supermarket here takes the added step and steaks them all, bastards. theres one butcher that carries them, trimmed like yours which i like and im betting they are 18/20 a pound this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    supermarket here takes the added step and steaks them all, bastards. theres one butcher that carries them, trimmed like yours which i like and im betting they are 18/20 a pound this year
    We don’t have a real butcher shop in Galveston. But the ones in Houston are close to $20 pound for a nice trimmed grade.
    Also like finding a nice Point on sale.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    edited July 2021
    I can say the Tri-Tips that Harter House sells online are excellent quality.
    https://harterhousemeats.com/products/our-famous-36-ounce-tri-tip
    They are currently $24.99 each
    I believe I have been told that if you order a quantity of 10 or more the shipping is free.

If anyone has difficulty sourcing Tri-Tip locally, I highly recommend Harter House.
    I also recommend giving @Photo Egg 's cooking method a try.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I'm also in the slow smoke until 120 internal finished with a reverse sear camp.

Its been some of the most consistent cooks I've done.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22