Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs came out a little tough. Advice?

Options
OlatheMike
OlatheMike Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked 4 slabs of baby back ribs for the super bowl. They were really good but I expected them to be a little more tender. They didn't exactly "fall off of the bone".[p]I smoked them at 250 degrees for just over 3 hours over direct heat without opening the BGE. Did I cook them too long or short? Could have been the meat? I used a rib rack and they barely fit in my large BGE. Maybe this is normal. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    OlatheMike,
    My guess would be too short cooking time. I usually go about 5 hours for BBs. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    OlatheMike,
    you were just over halfway there.[p]try indirect until you nail it, 250 for 5 to six hours.[p]can also go indirect for 2 to 3 hours, then foil indirect for 1 with a braising medium (apple juice, etc.), then another 1 hour direct with a glaze. [p]ribs don't get cooked til they are done. they get cooked til they are overdone, then a little longer. the collagen breaks down over time and gives you the moist tender results.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    OlatheMike,
    I am with Mike. Tough dry ribs are usually the sign of undercooked ribs. Many folks think dry and tough means overcooked, but with ribs it is usually the opposite. Overcooked ribs might be dry, but they will be mush....not tough. Just a few thoughts. It's hard too say for sure without being there. Tender ribs in 3 hours is possible, but sounds like yours could have stood some more time.[p]Beers, and better luck next time!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    OlatheMike,[p]Ooooh....too short of a cooking time. I usually do mine for at least 5 hours, but 6 is better.
  • OlatheMike
    Options
    This forum is the greatest thing since the BGE itself. Thank you everyone for your help
  • OlatheMike,
    Everybody else is probably dead-on about the time issue. When I cook on the same day as the party I almost always foil the ribs. It is the surest way to get tender ribs when you aren't on a "they're done when they're done" cook. After 2-3 hours wrap each slab in foil for about an hour. You'll be amazed how they are after that. Pull them out of the foil and then cook them for another hour or so.

• OlatheMike,[p]I too did baby backs for the SB. I did 4 racks in the v-rack (Indirect) for four hours on 275 and then opened up the vents full blast to mop them up for 10 minutes to cure the sauce. Probably the best ribs I have ever eaten. BTW - this was my first time using the BGE - Awesome![p]Norm
  • Cabdriver
    Options
    OlatheMike,
    Piling on -- Agree with all the others -- way too short. Did BB's for Super Bowl -- 5.5 hours, foil wrapped, as others indicate. Really were falling off the bone.