Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Expert Grill Lump Anyone?

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
Has anyone tried Expert Grill lump from Walmart? It looks to be .50/lb. Hard to hate the price. I didn't see any type of review on the Naked Whiz website. I noticed someone had a short video over on the Brethren but I haven't seen it mentioned over here at all. I'd be happy if it was Royal Oak or better for the price.

I'm not in a need for lump at the moment or I'd grab a bag or two. I'm interested in seeing if someone else has tried it or if it's just another lump company renamed....
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited June 2021
    Well, if these reviews can be believed, and I am skeptical, it sounds quite delightful!

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/expert-grill-lump-charcoal-all-natural-hardwood-charcoal-8-lb

I would try it.  I have spent $15 on worse things.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • WeberWho
    Langner91 said:
    Well, if these reviews can be believed, and I am skeptical, it sounds quite delightful!

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/expert-grill-lump-charcoal-all-natural-hardwood-charcoal-8-lb

I would try it.  I have spent $15 on worse things.
    Yeah, it's maybe worth trying before reading too much into it and have an unbiased judgement going into it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Try it and leave your report here for us.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • WeberWho
    DonWW said:
    Try it and leave your report here for us.

I'm content with my lump amount at the moment. If I was down to a couple bags I'd grab a few but I'm in no hurry at the moment to store more bags in the shed. I suppose I could grab a bag just to grab a bag the next time I'm in Wally World. I'll have to grab a bag if no one has given it a try...

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would grab a bag, and your beverage(s) of choice, and have a go at it. 

How satisfied would you be with a review left by someone else? A credible source like TNW is far, far above what some folks claim to be, as influencers and whatnot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    caliking said:
    I would grab a bag, and your beverage(s) of choice, and have a go at it. 

How satisfied would you be with a review left by someone else? A credible source like TNW is far, far above what some folks claim to be, as influencers and whatnot. 
    I would trust most people here as a general guideline as I'm sure most here would have a little more of an idea with lump charcoal over the average Joe review. I was surprised the TNW hasn't tested it yet. Yeah, I'll have to grab a bag one of these days. 

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I won't touch it if its not available in "center cut".  :tongue:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    feel the bag best you can and see if you sense the size of the lump.
    HTH

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    In my experience you get what you pay for but it’s always fun to shop around, sometimes you find something cheap and reliable.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Hopefully it doesn't have 10 lbs of rocks.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I wouldn't buy it.

Clearly it is for experts and I am still more of a novice griller.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    HeavyG said:
    I wouldn't buy it.

I'm not too worried. I'll pull the whole, "Do you even know how many Egghead forum points I have?" if a Walmart employee questions it. 

Minnesota
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I found one site that said it's made by Royal Oak as a private brand. Of course that still doesn't tell you much.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • WeberWho
    OhioEgger said:
    I found one site that said it's made by Royal Oak as a private brand. Of course that still doesn't tell you much.
    Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Royal Oak does seem to vary between private labels. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    womaus said:
    Bunch of cowards. Website says my local Walmart has them in stock. I'm on my way to get a couple of bags. 

Minnesota
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    They had a bunch in stock.

The bag is made in Mexico:

Av. Alfonso Reyes #3655 Col. Del Norte
    C.P. 64500 Monterrey N.L. México

And if you hit the website listed on the bag, bbqwf.com it resolves to https://www.duraflame.com/duraflame-inc

Cowboy and B&B.....interesting.

• womaus
    And a pic of what was on the top of the bag.

No idea when I'll be cooking next, but I'll try to remember to get back to this thread.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Damnit boy their stuffing dollars bills in there?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• womaus
    Damnit boy their stuffing dollars bills in there?
    And plants too.....
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    HeavyG said:
    I wouldn't buy it.

=)=)=)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    womaus said:

No idea when I'll be cooking next, but I'll try to remember to get back to this thread.

looks like cowboy lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    WeberWho said:
    Has anyone tried Expert Grill lump from Walmart? It looks to be .50/lb. Hard to hate the price. I didn't see any type of review on the Naked Whiz website. I noticed someone had a short video over on the Brethren but I haven't seen it mentioned over here at all. I'd be happy if it was Royal Oak or better for the price.
    FWIW the 30 lb bag of Royal Oak is just $16.96 at Wally World so it is pretty close in price at (.57/lb). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• womaus
    womaus said:

looks like cowboy lump
    How can you tell? By the stirrups or the lasso?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    FWIW the 30 lb bag of Royal Oak is just $16.96 at Wally World so it is pretty close in price at (.57/lb). 
    Yes sir! I have a couple 30lb bags of Royal Oak from Walmart that a buddy picked up for me when there was a lump shortage. 

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Yes sir! I have a couple 30lb bags of Royal Oak from Walmart that a buddy picked up for me when there was a lump shortage. 

already have the head and his gun sitting on the shelf
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've used it, and will be using it tonight. It's fine . Although I have had a few bags that were mostly small pieces. But it works just as it should.