Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who is using the Grill Gun?

Options
I have tried numerous methods for lighting the Egg from starter cubes to the Eggniter/lLooflighter.  My current favorite is the JJ George torch.  Before buying another one for my son to use with his own Egg I wanted to hear from owners of the Grill Gun.  What say you?  Seems pretty pricey in comparison to the JJ George torch, but the flame looks impressive.   
XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
Memphis  

Comments

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    I have tried numerous methods for lighting the Egg from starter cubes to the Eggniter/lLooflighter.  My current favorite is the JJ George torch.  Before buying another one for my son to use with his own Egg I wanted to hear from owners of the Grill Gun.  What say you?  Seems pretty pricey in comparison to the JJ George torch, but the flame looks impressive.   
    I started with the BGE electric hoop lighter, burnt it out and went to a Bernzomatic TS-4000, switched to a JJ George for a while and now back to the TS-4000. I find the JJ uses a lot of gas because the nozzle is so wide compared to the TS-4000. Also because the nozzle is so wide the flame doesn’t seem to be as concentrated and it takes longer to light. If I ever switch again it will be to a grass burner with a 20 lb propane tank to avoid the bits of coal embers burning holes in my shirts and pants and going into my shoes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-Trigger-Start-Torch-Head-TS4000T/202185055
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have tried them all and ended up going the slower, but in my opinion, the easier route. A bunch of different brands- the wax infused paper cubes work well for me. 

Greensboro, NC
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    $10 (on sale) Harbor Freight heat gun is my go-to, with Rutland squares as backup when I'm not in a hurry.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I'm in the fire stater camp:  Diamond Strike-A-Fire sticks that I break into 5 pieces per stick.  I use the requisite number (one for L&S or 3-4 for hot and fast) for every fire.  
    I have tried the oil soaked paper towels with success but not for me.
    BTW- given the high-rollers here this likely won't influence anyone but the price of an 8 fire starter box is $1.90 plus tax and has not changed in well over 10 years.  Perhaps the BTU per stick has been dialed down... =)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited June 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have tried the oil soaked paper towels with success but not for me.

I had forgotten this one; I make bacon-n-eggs almost every morning for breakfast (and even when I'm being "fahncy" I can usually soak a PT in chorizo grease, poke chop fat, yak butter or blubber).  And the cost is, I guess, whatever a half-paper towel costs...
    But I learned that even two PTs didn't have the BTUs to light lump, during a utard winter; sometimes not even one Rutland could do it (it just occurred to me to bury a Rutland in the lump, then light with the PT under my KAB; next winter!)
    91% alcohol is fun too, but not cost-effective, plus you have to dress up to go to Walmart to buy it; not for me.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I just use a garden variety Mapp gas torch.  Lasts forever and works great
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Mickey said:

Tried them all this is the best way that I have found. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I'd put my Harbor Freight weed torch just below the instant read thermometer for value when using my BGE.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I use tumbleweeds.   Might take a bit more time but they’re very consistent.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I’ve tried a bunch, & the Looftlighter gets my vote.
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    I use one.  Not cheap, but highly effective.   It looks like a 1911 handgun that you can screw a propane bottle to.  Dang this is a flame thrower.  Lights the charcoal in about 30 seconds turned up only half way.   Worth it to me and not just a novelty.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    When I'm not in a rush I find it easiest to just light some sort of firestarter, put everything in (platesetter, grate, whatever), set the vents where I think they'll get me to my goal temperature and walk away for an hour.  On weekdays, this means I can get in a run or other workout and then shower.  On weekends I can light it whenever it is convenient for me.  This process takes less than one minute and it is ready when I return.  

Some days I'm in a hurry and then my HomeRight Electro-torch works well - but it does mean I have to stand over the coals for a couple of minutes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I use the JJ George torch.  Just bought an adapter on Amazon that will allow me to connect it to my 20lb propane tank.
    War Damn Eagle!