Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket - Can I Just Leave the OLD BGE gasket on top dome

Options
Since you only need to have the Rutland on the bottom of the Egg, can you just leave the old gasket on the lid and avoid the messy job of taking it off. Thanks.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Bob,
    First, that old fried dome gasket will just continue to deteroriate and start to create air gaps defeating the whole purpose of having a gasket in the first place.

Second, when you apply the Rutland according to my instruction sheet then it becomes both wider and thicker so if you were to leave that old dome gasket on then when you close the dome then the planes of your dome and base will be out of whack and you will have a serious wide gap requiring adjustments to your bands.

Third, removing the old gaskets will make a mess so why have to make a mess a second time? Just remove both old gaskets now and be done with the mess making?

But it’s your gasket, your time so do it however you want - BUT I just don’t recommend leaving it on!
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Patriot
    Patriot Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks Ron. I knew I could count on you for expert advice.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @RRP’s the man! Have installed his gaskets on three Eggs and also convinced some friends to pick them up!