Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Firebox?

Options
Hello all,

I have a used XL egg that is short a firebox. I've been looking for a few months on craigslist/offerup/FB marketplace/ebay to no avail. Anyone have an old cracked firebox they aren't using they would part with? I'm in the Northern Virginia area but travel up to Rochester NY fairly frequently.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Since the firebox is something prone to break more often than not, why not just bite the bullet and buy a new one? That way when and if it breaks it is under warranty. Buy once, cry once...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    Options
    Definitely considered it, but this rig won't get much use since I've already got a warrantied large that I will continue to use for daily use. Just trying to put together a low and slow rig for when I want to cook two things at once or cook a ton of ribs for a party.

$189 for brand new is more than I've got in to the rest of the egg combined. If I can't find a used one, I may have no choice
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Sorry, I threw a cracked one out a few months ago.  I finally decided keeping a new one in the garage from a warranty replacement was stupid.  I'm with @RRP, I would just buy a new one.  Its not very expensive, $185 is worth it as you will have a warranty on the next one that cracks or falls apart.  I have more eggs than I should, and I have bought and sold many of them.  The firebox is far and away the component most likely to fail.  So its an opportunity that you are wisely taking advantage of, there are likely many people with broken ones out there willing to part with it.  But on the other side, having a warranty on yours going forward just ends that problem in your egg life.  Good luck either way.
  • Srpete01
    Options
    Concur with what you are saying. I still need to decide on which cooking grate and deflector I want to buy. I'm thinking ceramic grill store woo ring with half deflector plates.

In the meantime, if a firebox were to come up for $40ish dollars I would probably jump on it. Not necessarily in a hurry because I've got the large I have been using right along.

Its funny that I'm a cheap SOB for my own stuff but I just went in on buying my buddy an XL egg for his wedding gift. I contributed more to that than I will have spent on my whole used XL egg!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being cheap. We all chose where we’re going to spend our resources. On the CGS side, I really like my adjustable rig in my XL, but since getting the eggspander for my large, I prefer it more. It doesn’t do as much, but it’s simpler design is useful. I have a few eggs, so when I need more space, I just adjust on which egg I’m using. I ended giving my adjustable rig to my brother in law. And a large egg to go with it. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Srpete01 said:
    Concur with what you are saying. I still need to decide on which cooking grate and deflector I want to buy. I'm thinking ceramic grill store woo ring with half deflector plates.

In the meantime, if a firebox were to come up for $40ish dollars I would probably jump on it. Not necessarily in a hurry because I've got the large I have been using right along.

Its funny that I'm a cheap SOB for my own stuff but I just went in on buying my buddy an XL egg for his wedding gift. I contributed more to that than I will have spent on my whole used XL egg!
    Sometimes it's about the challenge you started.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Srpete01
    Options
    Totally right, it’s been fun putting this rig together. To just buy the rest of the parts feels like selling out. But I may have to do it if I want to be able to use it this summer.

in other news, we did give my best buddy his XL egg. He couldn’t believe it and was super excited
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @Srpete01, I have one if you find yourself up in Northern NJ anytime.  PM me if your heading this way sometime.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Srpete01
    Options
    Thanks to @kdink, I’ve now got a functional XL egg!