Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK Back to Food

BSR
BSR Posts: 165
Cooking some poppers while I work on my mostly pepper garden. Can't wait for the spicy food. Unfourtunatly these jalapenos are still from the grocery store.

First two ripe peppers of the season (overwintered Thai chili plant). Was in the middle of putting my most "reaching" plants into my hydro setup. Wash all the dirt off, add mycorrhizae, pop them in some hydro cups with expanded clay balls.

A few plants I'll overwinter under a light for an early start every season. These are last seasons, the Thai from earlier and my favorite pepper Aji Charapita

Just pulled a variety of garlic, onions, and potatoes from this side of the raised beds to make room for more peppers. Also have a huge cucumber plant growing in this bed that I'll use for pickles with the peppers and other stuff I grow.

Last of the seedlings a raised bed of nothing but peppers. I have over 50 varieties going this year.

Just started this hydro setup this year. I ran a 4" pipe under those holes and run water through a buried tank under my deck. It's been a little rocky start but I think I've got it about figured out now.

Sure wish I could rotate these pictures. Even tried on a PC and my phone. Even if I pre rotate the other direction they end up like this. Very strange. I'll try the other aspect ratio next time.

Comments

• BSR
    It's the aspect ratio. Has to be landscape.

• PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    BSR said:
    Cooking some poppers while I work on my mostly pepper garden. Can't wait for the spicy food. Unfourtunatly these jalapenos are still from the grocery store.

First two ripe peppers of the season (overwintered Thai chili plant). Was in the middle of putting my most "reaching" plants into my hydro setup. Wash all the dirt off, add mycorrhizae, pop them in some hydro cups with expanded clay balls.

A few plants I'll overwinter under a light for an early start every season. These are last seasons, the Thai from earlier and my favorite pepper Aji Charapita

Just pulled a variety of garlic, onions, and potatoes from this side of the raised beds to make room for more peppers. Also have a huge cucumber plant growing in this bed that I'll use for pickles with the peppers and other stuff I grow.

Last of the seedlings a raised bed of nothing but peppers. I have over 50 varieties going this year.

Just started this hydro setup this year. I ran a 4" pipe under those holes and run water through a buried tank under my deck. It's been a little rocky start but I think I've got it about figured out now.

Sure wish I could rotate these pictures. Even tried on a PC and my phone. Even if I pre rotate the other direction they end up like this. Very strange. I'll try the other aspect ratio next time.
    Sure looks like it leans left to me.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    My understanding, and I’m an idiot as I’ve proven many times, is that it’s not so much that you rotate them as you just minimally edit them.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • BSR
    dmchicago said:
    My understanding, and I’m an idiot as I’ve proven many times, is that it’s not so much that you rotate them as you just minimally edit them.
    It seems the aspect ratio has to be landscape not portrait or it will rotate them.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    BSR said:
    dmchicago said:
    It seems the aspect ratio has to be landscape not portrait or it will rotate them.
    Just edit them…

Easier to add new ones at this point.

Will definitely be growing these again wharever they turn out to be. They're supposed to be scotch bonnet but clearly aren't. Either way they're producing really early for a "super hot".

The closest to the camera is a trifoliate orange tree which can stay outside all winter even through frost which is pretty cool.

Cucumbers are going to be my yard soon apparently.

I'm telling you if you like peppers get yourself a charapita plant.

I really just learned about shade cloths this year. It's made a huge difference here in Wilmington, NC. The biggest plant is actually the most shaded and they trend that way. This is 40%

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Thats a cool set up. Cant wait to get a garden going again but just dont have the room in this house. We used to do 4” rockwool cubes in 8” pots with vermiculite and perlite around them on flood tables. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Beautiful setup. 
    New Orleans LA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That's awesome. Keep us posted on what peppers you like and would plant again. We started a garden this year. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    BSR said:
    dmchicago said:
    You can do a tiny crop and all is well. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That’s a really cool setup. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BSR
    edited June 2021
    BSR said:
    dmchicago said:
    Meaning even if the crop leaves it still portrait AR it will work, or you have to crop until its effectively landscape right? Two good beers in too lazy to test now.
  • BSR
    edited June 2021
    WeberWho said:
    That's awesome. Keep us posted on what peppers you like and would plant again. We started a garden this year. 

I'm a huge fan of habenero type flavors, charapita is by far the best pepper I've ever tasted though and not nearly as hot as habenero. Also love the Thai chili types and Serrano for hots. Padron and Shishito are great pan fried. I love stuffed hot cherry peppers.

I've had really good pequin, and biquinho but sometimes they aren't very hot... To be honest there are a lot of not so great tasting varieties out there. I love to try new stuff so I don't mind but I bet 30 out of 50 varieties end up being something not many people would like.

I end up drying jars and jars of most of them. Even giving them away it's hard to use them all fresh.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    BSR said:
    BSR said:
    dmchicago said:
    Meaning even if the crop leaves it still portrait AR it will work, or you have to crop until its effectively landscape right? Two good beers in too lazy to test now.
    I take pic with iPhone standing up. Unless I crop/edit the pic will be sideways 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    BSR said:
    WeberWho said:

I'm a huge fan of habenero type flavors, charapita is by far the best pepper I've ever tasted though and not nearly as hot as habenero. Also love the Thai chili types and Serrano for hots. Padron and Shishito are great pan fried. I love stuffed hot cherry peppers.

I've had really good pequin, and biquinho but sometimes they aren't very hot... To be honest there are a lot of not so great tasting varieties out there. I love to try new stuff so I don't mind but I bet 30 out of 50 varieties end up being something not many people would like.

I end up drying jars and jars of most of them. Even giving them away it's hard to use them all fresh.

Awesome! Thank you!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I mostly grow chillies plus a few tomato plants. Here in the UK it has to be done in the greenhouse and even then the hot varieties take a long time to ripen.

Smoke some in the Egg for storage at the end of the season. See also the fermetation thread - make sriracha and chilli paste.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    BSR said:
    Easier to add new ones at this point.

Will definitely be growing these again wharever they turn out to be. They're supposed to be scotch bonnet but clearly aren't. Either way they're producing really early for a "super hot".

Those look like scotch bonnets to me.  I'm further south than you, but I've had fruit on my habenero plants for about a month, and they are just starting to ripen.
    NOLA
  • BSR
    Eoin said:
    I mostly grow chillies plus a few tomato plants. Here in the UK it has to be done in the greenhouse and even then the hot varieties take a long time to ripen.

Smoke some in the Egg for storage at the end of the season. See also the fermetation thread - make sriracha and chilli paste.
    Oh yeah definitely fermenting some this year.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fantastic! Live the hydro setup by the deck. 

+1 for fermenting some of the bounty. You could make some great hot sauces, given the variety of peppers you have. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BSR
    caliking said:
    Fantastic! Live the hydro setup by the deck. 

+1 for fermenting some of the bounty. You could make some great hot sauces, given the variety of peppers you have. 
    Almost everything else I grow is to support the peppers, cucumbers, garlic, onion, cilantro, Thai basil, list goes on.

Definitely going to make some home grown hot sauces and pickles.