Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wifi thermometer vs heat management system - Is there one that does both?

Options
I love my Thermapen but I’ve been looking for wifi thermometers that I can stick in different pieces of meet at the same time, but at the same time I’ve been looking at those systems that can increase or decrease the temperature for constant temperature management.

is there a solution versatile enough that it can do both tasks well? If so, which one?

if not, what two separate solutions would you recommend?

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I use an Auber and a Smobot.  They both work really well for what you are looking for.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    If you want a wi-fi enabled thermo that can read multiple temps simultaneously but can also control the heat (if wanted) check out -

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Rocksteady
    Rocksteady Posts: 10
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If you want a wi-fi enabled thermo that can read multiple temps simultaneously but can also control the heat (if wanted) check out -

Any downside to this approach?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    There are several of those types of devices.  Each one has it's pros and cons.

Just like "best brands of charcoal", "best lighting method", and "how to cook a steak", there are as many options and opinions regarding temp controllers / thermometers as there are members of this forum.  It really boils down to personal choice.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    Flame Boss 500 @stlcharcoal sells them. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Any downside to this approach?

Do you mean just the use of "pit controllers" in general?
    Some find them helpful, some find them unnecessary. Lotsa opinions - all of which have some truth.
    If you're new to the Egg I wouldn't be in a hurry to spend the money on a pit controller. Kamados can be very stable in holding temp and running on its own. Learn how to do that. Electronics can fail and if one doesn't have any idea as to how to run the kamado naturally that can be a problem.
    I mention the Fireboard speccifically because it is a great piece of gear as a thermometer alone. You can easily add a blower fan later on if you decide that you may want/need something to help keep a stable temp.
    A lot of threads here that discuss various pit controllers so you might do a search and read some of those for a wider range of thoughts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk