Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LawnRanger talked me into it

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Mike talked me into just ordering a Pit Boss Table Top Pellet Grill. Should be here in a week or so. 
Never used one but he really likes his. 
Anyone got one?
Guessing will be easy to take between Florida and Texas. 
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Don't know much about them,  but I think you could achieve the same wing results with it as you do on the BGE.

😁
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I dont have the pitboss, but I picked up a GMG davey crockett, which is their portable grill. So far i love it, i bring it out to the camp or anywhere as it will run on 12V or 120 with the adapter. Not as much smoke as the egg with lots of chunks but pretty good overall. Super simple to use, even the wife can run it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I’ve almost pulled the trigger a few times on a pellet pooper but came to my senses.
    Not because they can’t cook well. But most are made from stamped, thin metal and our humid salty air will eat them apart just like a BGE Nest.lol
    The other issues is keeping the pellets in sealed containers all the time as well not leaving any in the hopper after each cook. Humid air causes the pellets to swell, not feed correctly or burn well. A friend in MN has one and loves it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    RRP said:
    No, but wonderful to hear the One and Only GREAT Mike S aka The Lawn Ranger is breathing fire under guys like you and me! AND you can tell Mike I said THAT! 

You can also share with Mike that I still have #002 Grid Lifter which he made for me when he decided to re-invent himself using plated metal, and wood handles other than “found wood”. Besides the #002 engraving it also has my RRP and Mike’s family branding iron symbol. SO COOL that to this very day I still have never used it, but instead display it PROUDLY to friends and family! 

BTW if you ever wonder...Mike told me #001 went to Nature Boy.

Fascinating!!!  You might could open a BGE history museum!!!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I’ve almost pulled the trigger a few times on a pellet pooper but came to my senses.
    Not because they can’t cook well. But most are made from stamped, thin metal and our humid salty air will eat them apart just like a BGE Nest.lol
    The other issues is keeping the pellets in sealed containers all the time as well not leaving any in the hopper after each cook. Humid air causes the pellets to swell, not feed correctly or burn well. A friend in MN has one and loves it.
    Darian you told me several things i had no idea about. May just stay in Texas and not take to the Coast. 
    Thanks my friend. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Darian you told me several things i had no idea about. May just stay in Texas and not take to the Coast. 
    Thanks my friend. 
    Check with some of your friends on Florida coast and ask them about rust problems. 
    Just something to consider. Many pellet smokers have problems in windy conditions.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    poster said:
    I dont have the pitboss, but I picked up a GMG davey crockett, which is their portable grill. So far i love it, i bring it out to the camp or anywhere as it will run on 12V or 120 with the adapter. Not as much smoke as the egg with lots of chunks but pretty good overall. Super simple to use, even the wife can run it
    I have a friend that loves his Davey Crockett. He's not using as much now that he has a KJ.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited June 2021
    Options

LOL - maybe so and I could add my remaining jars of pickled watermelon rind used to wrap with bacon, AND my MANY jars of what was called Italian "crack" back when @littleSteven still supplied it of Italian La Bomba HOT Antipasto Spread, oh...and of course my many reserve bags yet of Ozark Oak lump! 

Sorry to newbies reading this...many or most of these products are unavailable now. BUT they are in my 401K...(I think they qualify...)  =)=)=)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - maybe so and I could add my remaining jars of pickled watermelon rind used to wrap with bacon, AND my MANY jars of what was called Italian "crack" back when @little Steven still supplied it of Italian La Bomba HOT Antipasto Spread, oh...and of course my many reserve bags yet of Ozark Oak lump! 

I remember him sending a case of La Bomba to the first Salado EggFest and he came to the second or third. 

• RRP
    Options
    Mickey said:
    RRP said:

LOL - maybe so and I could add my remaining jars of pickled watermelon rind used to wrap with bacon, AND my MANY jars of what was called Italian "crack" back when @little Steven still supplied it of Italian La Bomba HOT Antipasto Spread, oh...and of course my many reserve bags yet of Ozark Oak lump! 

I remember him sending a case of La Bomba to the first Salado EggFest and he came to the second or third. 
    Then test your memory with this one...@ReelGem gave her passcode to @BoilermakerBen (then living in Auroa, IL)  so that he and I could each buy a case of La Bomba at some wholesale warehouse in Chicago.

• Mickey
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:
    RRP said:

Then test your memory with this one...@ReelGem gave her passcode to @BoilermakerBen (then living in Auroa, IL)  so that he and I could each buy a case of La Bomba at some wholesale warehouse in Chicago.

First off didn’t know it was possible to buy in the USA. I just don’t remember those two. 
    Hell i think I’m older than you buddy. 

• RRP
    Options
    Nope!  =)
  • Mickey
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nope!  =)
    Got to ask then. 73 here

• RRP
    Options
    hitting double 7’s in July..
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    RRP said:
    hitting double 7’s in July..
    We’ll, it’s a close race. Hope both of you have many more laps!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH was 76 maybe 5 years ago...
    Options
    I don’t have any experience with the Pit Boss but I have the portable Traeger Ranger and we love it. It never misses an RV trip. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .