Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covid update where I live. You?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    womaus said:
    Massachusetts, a couple of days ago was walking out of a Home Depot to my car. Young family approached me, husband/wife/kid in carriage. I had a mask on, they didn't.
    She started up a conversation with me. Asked if I was vax'd. I replied affirmatively. They asked "so how's it going?". I said just fine.

Turns out they were bible thumping anti-vaxxers. Turned into an interesting conversation.

Eejits.

I'm kinda okay with antivaxxers. It's their choice to dance with death. May even take some of them out of the gene pool.

There's some speculation that unchecked COVID infection and transmission among the antivaxxers/"its-all-a-hoax"ers, etc. will contribute to strains mutating, and possibly not being covered by current vaccines.

That's a tough one. For the moment, I'm done proselytizing re: vaccination. E.g. someone at work was holding out... until her adult daughter was infected with COVID. Then she was scrambling to figure out how to get vaccinated right quick. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    My youngest 14yr old gets his 2nd next Friday. That will complete the vaccinations for the family. It's nice that things are returning to normal. Sadly the vaccination rate for my state is not that great.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    We are fully open. Masks not required “if” you have the vaccine. First real weekend this weekend for fully opened up tourist corridor. We shall see how that goes. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited May 2021
    Two cousins aged 14 took part in one of the age 12+ clinical trials.  Trials look like they went well.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    caliking said:
    womaus said:
    Massachusetts, a couple of days ago was walking out of a Home Depot to my car. Young family approached me, husband/wife/kid in carriage. I had a mask on, they didn't.
    She started up a conversation with me. Asked if I was vax'd. I replied affirmatively. They asked "so how's it going?". I said just fine.

Turns out they were bible thumping anti-vaxxers. Turned into an interesting conversation.

Eejits.

I'm kinda okay with antivaxxers. It's their choice to dance with death. May even take some of them out of the gene pool.

There's some speculation that unchecked COVID infection and transmission among the antivaxxers/"its-all-a-hoax"ers, etc. will contribute to strains mutating, and possibly not being covered by current vaccines.

That's a tough one. For the moment, I'm done proselytizing re: vaccination. E.g. someone at work was holding out... until her adult daughter was infected with COVID. Then she was scrambling to figure out how to get vaccinated right quick. 
    Yep, that’s a concern, but need to get vax to the rest of the world that want it first, that’s where the biggest impact can be now.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    The Indy 500 is on the TV- there are 135,000 fans in attendance.  Based on the lack of masks it has to be the highest concentration of vax'd people in the world today!   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Reading a story this morning about a 33 year old Colorado Sheriffs Deputy, former Marine, that died recently. Apparently he was anti vaccination, and very verbal about it on FB and such. Sad and hard to understand the resistance to getting vaccinated. Is it a tough guy thing or just political?

One of his posts…I guess COVID had a better uppercut.

Trujillo shared an Instagram post in July 2020 that suggested he refused to wear masks, according to a screenshot shared by MailOnline. "Before you shame me in public for not having a mask, ask yourself one simple question," the post said. "Will this mask stop an uppercut?"

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2021
    Take the vaccine, keep yourself and loved ones safe, and make the world a better place.  Or don't believe in it despite overwhelming evidence and don't get vaccinated....don't live to reproduce and spread dangerous false info.  Either way we will eventually move on (albeit slower) and the world will be a better place.  

I really think a PSA emphasizing one potential lifetime-long effect from surviving the virus is a broken, limp schlong is a good idea that would appeal to some deniers.  Except maybe those schlongs already have that problem and that's why they're so angry.  Who knows.
    lousubcap said:
    The Indy 500 is on the TV- there are 135,000 fans in attendance.  Based on the lack of masks it has to be the highest concentration of vax'd people in the world today!  
    My company had 14 tickets for the race.  We drew names for them.  We asked each person who entered the lottery to only enter if they were vaccinated.

That's all we can do.  I hope they will be at work on Tuesday.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Yep, that’s a concern, but need to get vax to the rest of the world that want it first, that’s where the biggest impact can be now.
    Agreed. But there's a big gap between a cargo load of vaccine doses landing on a tarmac, and getting them into bodies. 

Re: India, 70%+ of the population is rural. Which doesn't mean that the closest Wal-Mart is 15 miles away. (not being snarky. That's the only metric I can think of, off the cuff). 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Agreed. But there's a big gap between a cargo load of vaccine doses landing on a tarmac, and getting them into bodies. 

Re: India, 70%+ of the population is rural. Which doesn't mean that the closest Wal-Mart is 15 miles away. (not being snarky. That's the only metric I can think of, off the cuff). 
    Don’t they have Army medics? That is who are running our mass vaccination clinics in my state. Johnson and Johnson might be the best shot. It can be kept in an ice chest and one shot is all that is needed. There are no more side effects than AstraZeneca which is the main vaccine that they are using now. Convoy village to village, vaccinate all adults and move to the next one. We might have to donate the vaccine and syringes but they have the labor available.
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Don’t they have Army medics? That is who are running our mass vaccination clinics in my state. Johnson and Johnson might be the best shot. It can be kept in an ice chest and one shot is all that is needed. There are no more side effects than AstraZeneca which is the main vaccine that they are using now. Convoy village to village, vaccinate all adults and move to the next one. We might have to donate the vaccine and syringes but they have the labor available.
    With all due respect, you have no idea. 

Serum Institute of India is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer.  Effectively vaccinating a country's population goes way beyond that. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Langner91 said:
    lousubcap said:
    The Indy 500 is on the TV- there are 135,000 fans in attendance.  Based on the lack of masks it has to be the highest concentration of vax'd people in the world today!  
    My company had 14 tickets for the race.  We drew names for them.  We asked each person who entered the lottery to only enter if they were vaccinated.

That's all we can do.  I hope they will be at work on Tuesday.
    You should be hoping they'll all be at work in two weeks, on Tuesday.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Reading a story this morning about a 33 year old Colorado Sheriffs Deputy, former Marine, that died recently. Apparently he was anti vaccination, and very verbal about it on FB and such. Sad and hard to understand the resistance to getting vaccinated. Is it a tough guy thing or just political?

One of his posts…I guess COVID had a better uppercut.

Trujillo shared an Instagram post in July 2020 that suggested he refused to wear masks, according to a screenshot shared by MailOnline. "Before you shame me in public for not having a mask, ask yourself one simple question," the post said. "Will this mask stop an uppercut?"

It will likely be an unpopular opinion, but I find myself  lacking sympathy. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Serum Institute of India is the world's largest vaccine manufacturer.  Effectively vaccinating a country's population goes way beyond that. 

You said that the problem was not availability of vaccine but getting shots into arms. I suggested a method of getting vaccine to the rural villages. If you have a better method lay it out. I already knew that they were producing AZ under license as well as a local vaccine . So if it isn’t labor or materials or vaccine then what is the problem. I understand a population of 1.4 billion is a huge number but they can accept help or do it themselves.
  • caliking
    edited May 2021
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

You said that the problem was not availability of vaccine but getting shots into arms. I suggested a method of getting vaccine to the rural villages. If you have a better method lay it out. I already knew that they were producing AZ under license as well as a local vaccine . So if it isn’t labor or materials or vaccine then what is the problem. I understand a population of 1.4 billion is a huge number but they can accept help or do it themselves.
    to be clear, I was not trying to be sarcastic, or snarky. Honestly. These things are difficult to convey over the interwebz. 

But, if the response is "don't they have army medics?" then the answer is... no, they don't.

Ensuring one vote per citizen, during elections, is challenging enough.

Getting 2 doses of a vaccine (possibly one J&J dose, which is not readily available, not readily administered anywhere else, etc.) into each body, is exponentially more difficult. 

Again, this is not an attack on your idea or intent, which i am sure is well intentioned. Its just not practical, in the context of India. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

to be clear, I was not trying to be sarcastic, or snarky. Honestly. These things are difficult to convey over the interwebz. 

But, if the response is "don't they have army medics?" then the answer is... no, they don't.

Getting 2 doses of a vaccine (possibly one J&J dose, which is not readily available, not readily administered anywhere else, etc.) into each body, is exponentially more difficult. 

Again, this is not an attack on your idea or intent, which i am sure is well intentioned. Its just not practical, in the context of India. 
    Okay the US has hospital ships, corpsmen, helicopters , and tilt rotor long range planes. If requested we could transport vaccine, medical personnel, and vaccine anywhere within 400 miles of the coastline. Local support would have to be translators and a signed agreement freeing all personnel from civil and criminal action. The ships could even refill oxygen tanks though probably a fraction of what is needed.
  • nolaegghead
    Infrastructure.   It ain’t where all the people be at.
    Yup. That is why I mentioned helicopters.
  • nolaegghead
    Read up on it.  India had every possible hurdle to cross vaccinating the masses at a yuge scale plus a number of unforced errors by gubment.  
    Maybe "manliness" is synonymous with dumbf*ckery?
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

Okay the US has hospital ships, corpsmen, helicopters , and tilt rotor long range planes. If requested we could transport vaccine, medical personnel, and vaccine anywhere within 400 miles of the coastline. Local support would have to be translators and a signed agreement freeing all personnel from civil and criminal action. The ships could even refill oxygen tanks though probably a fraction of what is needed.
    *sigh* Yes. Please deploy all of that. Globally. (I think that's a word).

Let me know how it goes...

• PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Yup. That is why I mentioned helicopters.
    So close.  If only you would have said drones.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Maybe "manliness" is synonymous with dumbf*ckery?
    Those steroids make people do dumb chit.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

As I said they would have to ask and not shoot at our ships, helicopters, and people. As far as globally, 1.4 billion plus our own 330 million plus maybe Mexico and Canada is about as far as the US can reasonably go. The world is a sad place.
  • caliking
    edited May 2021
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

As I said they would have to ask and not shoot at our ships, helicopters, and people. As far as globally, 1.4 billion plus our own 330 million plus maybe Mexico and Canada is about as far as the US can reasonably go. The world is a sad place.
    You're confusing India and Yemen. 

• Terpderpitude
    Terpderpitude Posts: 200
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    womaus said:

Eejits.

It’s really a shame that the entire country of India and the US State Department don’t have big idea people like yourself who can brainstorm around these kinds of solutions.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I just turned 65 the other day and we ate at the Weber Grill Restaurant. We have been fully vaccinated since April. This was the first time I dined inside a restaurant in over year. Masks were optional for patrons but the employees were all wearing masks. I ordered the brisket and it was ok but not as good as smoking your own on the BGE.