Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Shrimp + Grilled Baby Bok Choi & Cold Sesame Noodles

Did I say grilled bok choi?  Removed the leaves and rubbed the stems with a miso/butter/rice wine vinegar mixture. Showed them the flame til they got good and caramelized. When they came off, their heat (and the heat of the shrimp) wilted the bok choi leaves. This is a keeper.  

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Love me some Bok Choy.  Really nice meal!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Love me some Bok Choy.  Really nice meal!
    Thx!  I'd never thought to grill bok choi before, but it really worked well with the miso butter and separating the leaves from the stems.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Oh heLL yes!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Oh damn! Looks fabulous. 

Could you share deets about the noodles? Seems like a great side. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    caliking said:
    Oh damn! Looks fabulous. 

Could you share deets about the noodles? Seems like a great side. 
    Happy to — pretty easy to make, really tasty and healthy-ish (it’s calorie and carb bomb, so better as a side than a main).  I used Asian supermarket fresh Korean noodles (that looked  kind of like fettuccine), but dried pasta (spaghetti) works just fine.  

The cold sesame sauce is pretty simple (from NYT, with a few adjustments) — this is for one lb of pasta, but I triple it, use 3/4, and keep the rest around for other uses: 

2 TBS sesame oil (I sub in 1/3 hot sesame oil, but beware bc that stuff is hot)

3.5 TBS soy sauce (I use light soy and don’t think it needs quite that much)

2 TBS a Chinese rice vinegar (Japanese works fine, and I use unseasoned with a heavy pour)

2 TBS Chinese sesame paste (tahini works just fine)

1 TBS peanut butter (use more than that)

1 TBS sugar

1 TBS grated ginger (use more)

2 tsp minced garlic (use more)

2 tsp Chili Crisp or chili garlic paste (I use Dave Chang’s momofoku chili crunch, which is awesome on everything — it’s hot)

Lots of cucumber matchsticks (seeded) and scallion

Combine all (except cuke and scallion) and use immersion blender (or blender blender) to mix til smooth. Taste and adjust PB for more sweet and rice wine vinegar for more acid. Pour over cooked, cooled noodles and serve chill for a few hours. Splash some more sauce or vinegar if it gets tight while chilling, which can happen if you don’t just serve immediately.  Top with cuke and scallions. Make more than you think you need bc it disappears fast. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @HendersonTRKing - thank you! Appreciate the detailed recipe. Bookmarked.

The Momofuku Chili Crunch is the current house favorite. Love their Spicy seasoned salt, too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    I can not believe that you forced yourself to eat that......bookmarked! =)
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Looks so good. If I were to grill shrimp like that I would lose half to the grill.