Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok performance

Aubie1
Aubie1 Posts: 436
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
Does the wok perform better on the L or XL BGE? Or about the same?

I did see in one thread the mention of having to battle the additional heat that escapes around the wok when using the XL.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
XL BGE and L BGE

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2021
    Well, needless to say if you are comparing using the same size wok on a Large and an XL then yes the XL will have more space around it to let more air to the fire so hotter the fire!

But the secret to using a wok on a BGE that has always worked for me is to get my dome temp to the level I want it with my wok already inside, then open the dome, close my bottom vent entirely! As you know the reason for woking is how quickly it cooks your food. With the bottom vent closed the fire will not become a raging inferno before you are done!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I really enjoy the wok on the egg. Saying that I will tell that I have different ways of lighting the fire on each egg to make the wok do what it does best.  I don’t have an XL but for my large I light one big spot in the center, never close the dome or stabilize anything. I just want it hot.  I would guess the size of the wok would come into play a little in regards to heat coming up around the sides but I don’t notice much between my 14 and my 16” wok on the large.  You’re gonna need gloves anyway.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    RRP said:
    Well, needless to say if you are comparing using the same size wok on a Large and an XL then yes the XL will have more space around it to let more air to the fire so hotter the fire!

But the secret to using a wok on a BGE that has always worked for me is to get my dome temp to the level I want it with my wok already inside, then open the dome, close my bottom vent entirely! As you know the reason for woking is how quickly it cooks your food. With the bottom vent closed the fire will not become a raging inferno before you are done!
    I do it exactly this way as well. 
  • Aubie1
    RRP said:

Good info.
    If you are not using the 16" on the XL, What size wok are you using, 18,20 or 22?
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • RRP
    Well, Sir...I don’t own an XL so I cant answer that! I use a 16” round bottom wok using a “spider” from CGS. If you buy a spider you will need to specify the age of your BGE besides the size. Reason? Some eggs have different numbers of indentions so that determines the number of legs! 

Then the other hint I forgot to add is IF you own a Spider then you can actually flip it over to raise it higher if need be from your heat or just keep it down for the hotter cook.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    bella21 said:
    RRP said:

I do it exactly this way as well. 
    Me too.
  • Aubie1
    ^
    I'm currently leaning toward the Spider over the Woo/Eggspaner.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • Aubie1
    I really enjoy the wok on the egg. Saying that I will tell that I have different ways of lighting the fire on each egg to make the wok do what it does best.  I don’t have an XL but for my large I light one big spot in the center, never close the dome or stabilize anything. I just want it hot.  I would guess the size of the wok would come into play a little in regards to heat coming up around the sides but I don’t notice much between my 14 and my 16” wok on the large.  You’re gonna need gloves anyway.  
    I have gloves.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • RRP
    RRP said:

Then the other hint I forgot to add is IF you own a Spider then you can actually flip it over to raise it higher if need be from your heat or just keep it down for the hotter cook.
    I should have added - another reason for using the spider flipped over is you can pop popcorn in your wok that way! Yet another novel way to wow people about the BGE besides just cooking protein!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,661
    have gravitated to a propane burner with the wok, frying chicken in an egg for something like general gau's or orange chicken can be a little dangerous. found 600 degrees dome, then open egg and wok was great for most wok cooking in an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it